620 any thoughts?

ronnie93212

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not IFS. I can see the spring perches. It's either Jeep or Toyota parts.

The EASY way to convert a 2WD 720 to 4WD start with a 4WD truck. It is far eaisier to swap the body than to try to adapt the frame. Unless you want to go with the Solid axle front end, in which it doesn't matter what you start with as the whole front suspension is removed anyway.

That's not IFS. I can see the spring perches. It's either Jeep or Toyota parts.

The EASY way to convert a 2WD 720 to 4WD start with a 4WD truck. It is far eaisier to swap the body than to try to adapt the frame. Unless you want to go with the Solid axle front end, in which it doesn't matter what you start with as the whole front suspension is removed anyway.

Hes wants to use a 720 4x4 to make his 620 4wd...

if you combine 2wd lift arms, and 2wd lift spindles you can get like 4-5" suspension lift, throw in a 1-2" body lift and we're talkin 5-7" of total lift in the front...

if your only after a lift and don't plan on doing any serious offroading... I mean do the above along with a pathfinder se v6 rear axle (factory lsd) and you can still go places that will probably scare you (if you haven't done much offroading)

Dude building a 4x4 is a bitch! Trust me! The hard part is swapping the cab and bed.

Not if you have a forklift and a Donor Truck;)

The truck in the pic is the one in a museum, built by spencer Low's company that did conversions. Most were done with a Jeep D20 transfer case and D30 front axle.

I was lucky, I picked up a longbed 4x datsun and put it on the forklift, cut all the drivetrain out and welded it in my shortbed.

Voila! weekend 4x conversion. YMMV.

Dude building a 4x4 is a bitch! Trust me! The hard part is swapping the cab and bed.

a friend and I are about to do a 78 620 kc 2 wd swap to a 80 720 kc 4x4.

my question ice =

what is going to be " the hard part of the swap" I just want to make sure we get all our ducks in a roll before we get it started..

Not if you have a forklift and a Donor Truck;)

Voila! weekend 4x conversion. YMMV.

No, you don't know what Icehouse had. He did have a donor truck. Two 620s so the cab and bed mounts matched. He also used a crane, much bigger than your forklift. He said that was hard and he had the easy job.

Your 720 frame and body don't even line up with the 620 so you'll be modifying or rebuilding body mounts. Welding still required if you try to put a 620 cab and body onto a 720 frame.

Icehouse has a thread on his 4x4 conversion with pics. Look it up. His was 620 kingcab 2wd to 620 kingcab 4x4

madness, your right, when I see misspelling it drives me nuts also, my bad

Bleach, I read ices swap aready, 620 looks nice,

I thought there was something like the steering coulmn, gas tank, or what ever might occur while removing the cab and bed because he said it was a bitch to swap.

about the 78 620 KC 2wd body swapped to the 80 720 KC 4x4, this is what I've been told..

If both trucks are King Cab, there should be no problems. If you have an '80 720 everything should fit because that year only also used the L series motor. I have had an '80 4X4 apart and the tranny was the same length as the 620 but measure them both for length. As long as they are the same length it will fit. (the 620 will be 31.5" and the 720 should be the same) The tranny mount should be the same but if not use the 620 auto one.

IF the 720 is a long bed, the KC cab will fit but the front two box mounts won't fit to the box. This is the frame I used. I cut the two mounts off and welded on about 10" back so they would bolt to the shorter KC bed. You could maybe just leave them, I don't think they are in the way, or maybe just cut them off?

The KC and the long bed truck frames are basically identical except for these two bed mounts.

When I get over to my friends house tomorrow, I'll measure the body mounts and transmission, I don't want a bunch of hidden surprises...