Dogleg Tranny????

Docsis510

So I bought this Trannybutim not shure if its realy a dogleg. the only numbers i see are 63a#1 and 63a#2. i dont know where to look for the transmission serial number unless this are it.also would the clutch on my 4 speed and my bearing fit the dogleg tranny??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On this thread: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2373 go down to post #15. The pics show a dogleg compared w. other trannys. The "smooth" case and bell housing is a good indication of a DL. Also, the overall length of the DL case should be about 26 1/2". If it's 31", it isn't a DL. Finally, if you can shift it all the way to the left and forward, that will be reverse on a DL. Turn the input shaft, and the output shaft will turn opposite direction.

Len

Len I could not have said it better. Are those your tranny pix??? I have used them several times, (many times) to explain something. They are excellent, thank you.

The #1 and #2 is likely a casting revision and the 63a does not prove it isn't! The dog leg is called an FS5W63 and is 26" long.

Edited by datzenmike

datzenmike - Yeah, those are pics I posted. I was a little surprised they were still up. My wife has them hosted somewhere. Use them any time they might help somebody. I keep wanting to re-shoot with better backgrounds and lighting. And no snow! Man, I'm sick of seeing snow. There is even a chance of more snow today or tonight here in the wilds of E. WA.

As to the clutch question, I'm pretty sure the itself clutch will work fine. However, there are differences in the sleeve the throwout bearing rides on. I recall the rule is to use the sleeve that matches your clutch, which may not be the length of the one installed on a trans you are sticking in. I think this comes up when switching to 280Z 5-speed. I suspect a stock 4-speed and a dogleg use the same sleeve. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. Would placing a straight edge across the face of the bell housing and measuring back to the front of the throwout bearing assure the sleeve is correct? It seems to me if the distance was the same for two trannys, the sleeve would be the same.

Len

It's usually based on if you have a 200, 225 or 240mm clutch & PP. This would imply that there are only 3 sizes. Here's an old chart showing multiple housings and they are all for the 200mm clutch.:http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/clutch_replacement_figures.jpg[/img]"]clutch_replacement_figures.jpg

Looks like the first is for L16, then L18 and L20B, then Z20. The last one is for??? Pulsar/Sentra something small? This chart implies that there are four different heights from the diaphragm fingers down to the flywheel surface. After all you would expect a 200mm clutch from an L20B to be stronger than one from an L16.

I saw your pics on the other thread. the tranny i got looks like the tranny in your middle pic. it even has the little pipe that sticks out in the top. where would the s/n be located in the tranny? i went through the gears and seems that it has 5. the guy that sold it to me kept the throwout bearing. my friend took the tranny to his shop to pressure wash it but when i get it back i'll take pictures for you guys to see.

Can anyone make sense of the serial number.. anyway? As I understand it, it tells the month and year of manufacture only. Could be from a 200sx, maybe.

Docsis510... post a picture(s)!!!!

Edited by datzenmike

Well my Ovaltine decoder ring says it was made in January of 1975. That's the build date of the tranny not the car so there could be a year or so difference. I suppose that works as it predates the '77 200sx by only a year. May have been in use earlier in Japan??

you guys think that a racing clutch from a 280z would work on this tranny. in tijuana they can rebuild the original clutch and make it half bronze and half copper but i thought it would be better to get a performance 280z one.

Again, my Ovaltine decoder ring says it was made in October of 1975.

This is the probable build date and does not indicate what vehicle it was installed in, nor what gears are in it, nor does it indicate the type of tranny. If you had a '78 620 then this would indicate that maybe the original tranny was swapped out for this slightly older '75 tranny. Again if an L 5spd build date was in '81 then it could only have been from an L24E or an L28. The build date doesn't tell the whole story but if you do some detective work you can narrow down what it was originally in. Over the years trannys have been swapped all over the place.

Sorry that's not a dogleg FS5W63 at all. It's an FS5W71B. Measure the length.. that's 31.5" long. The '77-'79 200sx L series dogleg was 26" same as the PL510. There was an L series tail dogleg used in the '79-'80 HLA10 (510) but that ain't it. The dogleg has a smooth 'bell' and non-ribbed front case.

Rusty, this might not be the only bad news... now, it's hard to see from that angle but it looks like Z series engine bolt pattern. Could be wrong but if you want to be sure post a picture of the top two engine mounting bolt holes and a shot of the tail stock including the shifter mount. (passenger side)

Edited by datzenmike

Yup it was an option, fairly rare and a long tail so won't fit the PL. Available only on the 2dr hatchback up till 06'79 but not in Canada from now on. Available from 07'79-06'80 on 2dr. sedan, 4 dr. hatchback and wagon . Available from 07'80 and up in the 4dr. hatchback only.

Yes they (FS5W63) are lighter, (10-15 lb) and in how much punishment they will take as well. Still an OK tranny meant for 2 liter and under motors.

Most '68-86.5 Nissan L and Z series standard trannys fall into two different lengths: short tail 26.3" and 31.5" Most I believe are within 1/4" if these measurements.

Short:

F4W63 used on '68-'73 510 L series

FS5W63 dogleg used on '77-'79 200sx L series

FS5W71B used on 720 long wheelbase 4X4s (not sure) Z series but may have had an L series in '80 only.

Long:

F4W63 used on

520/521 from '65 with J and L series

'78-'81 HLA10 L and Z series

'73-'75 610 L series

'74-'77 710, L series

'06'72-'09'73 620 L series

FS5W63 dogleg used on

'79-'81 HLA10 optional L and Z series

F4W71A used on early '70-'71 240Z

F4W71B used on

'73-'78 240/260/280Z

10'73-'80 620 L series

'78 -? 810 L series

'80-'86.5 720 L and Z series

FS5W71B

'77-'79 620 L series

'77-'83 280z/zx L series

'78-'84 810/Maxima L series

'80-'86.5 720 L and Z series

'80-'83 200sx Z series

'84-'86.5 200sx CA series

I may have transposed a number so if you see something out of place let me know and I will take a look.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 weeks later...