Hot hot coil?

SRSANDS

So I wheeled my dime out in the sun for the first time sine I owned it, during body work phase. I started it up and let it run for a bit. I shut it down and went for the nieghors foor some beers and dinner. When I got back I was messing wioth the engine bay and the coil was super siuper hot! What is the deal? Is this normal? Whats wrong :confused:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ughhh duh...Ya Im a boner today...all day Ive been doin dmb shit....the key was on ok....next question. I unplugged the two wires when I freaked out. What color goes to positive and neg so I can hook it back up....thanks

some on here run them on Matchboxes and work OK But I myself will not do this as I want total relaibility.

...... you can't beat the factory set up.

When was the last time someone posted.... "my factory matchbox stopped working what do I do" or "my factory coil overheated and blew a hole in my fender".... it's because the factory ignition works. You want shiny Axxel coil, just paint your stock one yellow... and paint the wires as well.

Edited by datzenmike
...... you can't beat the factory set up.

When was the last time someone posted.... "my factory matchbox stopped working what do I do" or "my factory coil overheated and blew a hole in my fender".... it's because the factory ignition works. You want shiny Axxel coil, just paint your stock one yellow... and paint the wires as well.

Actually you can beat the Factory Coil Setup. As mentioned above, MSD Blaster 2 Coil, they are designed to handle 12-14 volts direct. Pull Power direct from the battery via a Bosch Relay for a Full 14.5 Volts, you get a 48-50K Spark to Plugs.

More Power, Better Mileage. Works every time on the older cars, as you're no longer suffering a voltage drop across all the ignition wires.

Erm, but that is just the coil, not the distributor......I do still use the factory electronic ignition module.:D

Solid Transistor State for surivability.:P

Edited by az_rat210

Tell me what ignition you running?????POints or eleltronic

If you still have points Put the ballast resistor back in!!!!!!!!!

Why you take it out?

If you have a Electronic ignition you need a Eletronic ignition coil.!!!

I need more infor than my coil gets HOT?

It got Hot for a reason/

Tell me what distributor you have and Coil if it was changed.

But otherwise if you have points go to the drawing I gave you

I remeber those 3 cars you had photos of. One went to the junk yard. Get part off it!!!!!!!!

What most people do is get a Eletronic ignition and remove the ballast resisito on their POINT COIL and then it gets HOT . that is wrong.

Hainz,

I got a electronic dizzy...matchbox out of a nissan truck. The coil I have also came out of the same truck, it is chrome and I believe its an accel, it had a crusty sticker on it I just cant recall what it was before I cleaned it up and took it off. I think it may have got hot from leaving my ignition on the on position too long....constant power. It shouldnt get that hot I believe from what your saying, but it still fires right up so......I dunno. Im gonna get the thing painted and drive it up to franks, then I can meet you and you can maybe check out if I have nething bad goin on

Tell me what ignition you running?????POints or eleltronic

If you still have points Put the ballast resistor back in!!!!!!!!!

Why you take it out?

If you have a Electronic ignition you need a Eletronic ignition coil.!!!

I need more infor than my coil gets HOT?

It got Hot for a reason/

Tell me what distributor you have and Coil if it was changed.

But otherwise if you have points go to the drawing I gave you

I remeber those 3 cars you had photos of. One went to the junk yard. Get part off it!!!!!!!!

What most people do is get a Eletronic ignition and remove the ballast resisito on their POINT COIL and then it gets HOT . that is wrong.

im still using stock dizzy with contact point..lucas oil base coil..no ballast resistor..

hmm...but my foreman told me that it mayb the coil is going to fault anytime soon...:confused:

Dreamers Vault. put the ballast resistor back in like in the drawing I showed.

Point ignition needs a ballast resisitor. I would also put the orginal coil back in also.

Do you know the Ohm value of that Lucas Coil???? if not put the stock coil back in.

If it worked before you changed it then you know its the wrong part you out in.

All coils have oil in them!!!!!!!!

SRSANDS

The truck had this coil? Was truck running?

the Chrome small Accel coil is really a point coil or 1.4 ohms coil designed to run at 6-9volts. You either need to add a ballast resisitor or just Get a MSD coil and no need to run a ballast .

Matchbox + MSDBlaster 2 coil=EZ install.

coilwireing_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)