anyone here made their own bumpsteer spacers?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a lathe problem is trying to figure out a way to not have an odd shape those don't chuck up in a lathe very easy! I was thinking about using tubing or maybe round bar and machining that just not sure how to bolt it in once machined?

Yea but ya see I need them X 2 need a set for my ka goon and my orange goon also.

O.K. That's $160. smackers, I own a CNC machine shop and I purchased the one's I have on my race car. What is your time worth?. I know you will have quiet a bit of time in them when your done. Plus if not done right you could smash your goon when the front end comes apart. :eek: If you are having a hard time trying to figure out how to do it. You should just buy them.

If you want to save half the money and you don't mind skipping the flashy annodized look of the T3 ones (although the finished aluminum looks great too), check these out:

http://www.actionspeedshop.com/Sport-Compact-Suspension-Front-Suspension/c1_34_35/p300/A51-Datsun-510-280ZX-Billet-Strut-Spacers/product_info.html

they are pretty cheap to buy from Techno toy tuning, there the ones I have on Lisa's car and my wagon great looking parts and they come with all the hard wear

Clayton

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=808

I hate that T3 uses low grade hardware - it's not like class 10.9 stuff is that much more expensive. I'd pay the extra $2 so I don't have to buy duplicate parts in a higher grade.
What is your time worth?.

I never understood this statement. I think there might be two types of project people. Ones who like to bolt parts on and ones who really enjoy the process of making a custom project. I know Luke and myself fall into the second category. Not that there is anything wrong if you just like to bolt things on. It's just two different types of project guys. :)

On the flip side if you don't have the right equipment it might be very frusterating.

I bought a set of CNC'd bump steer spacers on ebay for $40..

That is a good price. I could have swore I bought mine from Matt D on the realm for about 35-40 shipped.

Edited by heirfaus
I never understood this statement. I think there might be two types of project people. Ones who like to bolt parts on and ones who really enjoy the process of making a custom project. I know Luke and myself fall into the second category. Not that there is anything wrong if you just like to bolt things on. It's just two different types of project guys. :)

On the flip side if you don't have the right equipment it might be very frusterating.

That is a good price. I could have swore I bought mine from Matt D on the realm for about 35-40 shipped.

I guess you haven't seen any of my cars yet. :D I'm not a bolt on type guy. It's just some things are easier to buy than build. Believe me I can make a set of bumb spacers but WHY!!!!! Now if they were a couple hundred. I'd be the first guy on the mill cranking out a couple sets.

I completely agree with you on this one datrod!

Choose your projects wisely I think. Why invest a lot of time in bump spacers when you could buy them for $40 and make something that isn't already available for your rig..

My .02

I completely agree with you on this one datrod!

Choose your projects wisely I think. Why invest a lot of time in bump spacers when you could buy them for $40 and make something that isn't already available for your rig..

My .02

I hope you guys don't think I was insulting anyone because that wasn't my intention;)

Datrod, I definitely see your point, but for me, I just like working on a project. Doesn't matter how much it cost or how long it takes. If I have the skills/equipment to do it I enjoy doing it. Then again. I don't work and just go to school. So I have extra time for projects and don't feel tired after a long day at work.:D

I hate that T3 uses low grade hardware!!!!!!

I bet they all do.

Look like Taiwan bolts in The Actionspeed shop photo.

How can I tell? It just has that cheap phosphate lloking coating

Cant tell with the T3 bolts.

But both bumpsteer spacers look good.

Black oxide is common, even on good fasteners. I don't know why...I see it more often on higher grade stuff
I hope you guys don't think I was insulting anyone because that wasn't my intention;)

Datrod, I definitely see your point, but for me, I just like working on a project. Doesn't matter how much it cost or how long it takes. If I have the skills/equipment to do it I enjoy doing it. Then again. I don't work and just go to school. So I have extra time for projects and don't feel tired after a long day at work.:D

O.K. you win. I guess after I work 7 days a week at 10-12 a day.

I get a little lazy. So sometimes I just have to bite the bullet and buy some stuff.

I didn't take your comment as an insult. :D

Well I did just buy 2 sets from that link 71 dimer posted up that's a good deal besides its like 2 for the price of one! I did make some pieces today to make my own! Lol guess that was more of a waste of time now after seeing that link. I was just kinda looking for a exuse to make some chips on my lathe really guess I gotta find something else now.

I hate that T3 uses low grade hardware - it's not like class 10.9 stuff is that much more expensive. I'd pay the extra $2 so I don't have to buy duplicate parts in a higher grade.

the hardware that came in my kit has 10.9 on them maybe they got cheap after the fact but I did buy mine from Gabe almost 5 years ago

Those aluminum ones for $40 a pair look really nice.

A few years ago I bought some from eBay for $65 because that was the cheapest I could find. TTT had them still for $80 back then.

The ones I got for $65 were rough garbage made in someone's garage. Not quite what their picture showed! I used them anyway and they worked fine.

This time around I bought the TTT set and did it right.

I have no mahcines to do that kind of work so making some myself is out of the question.

Hey I found them $5 cheaper guys...$34.95 a set.

Look to be the same exact ones.

I figured you guys would dig them...price wise that is. :)

http://www.newoldstockmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=49

510BSS2.JPG

510BSS3.JPG

Wow that's a great price. I hate people that make stuff like that. makes my life alot harder.