Shocked at my old shocks

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Did a set of shocks today on my 620 after pressure washing my undercarriage and wheel wells, and doing the front brakes. I was horrified to see that I was still riding around on a stock set from 1976. The previous 2 owners had never changed them! No wonder it felt like the front end was gonna shake loose everytime I hit a bump. Anyway put a set of midgrade Gabriel proguards on and am amazed at now "floaty" my truck feels. I love it. These old trucks have a real stiff ride to start with, and some new shocks really help to soften things up a bit. Now just need to trim my rear bump stops, do the rears, and Bob's your uncle.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had my way we would all have new shocks every year... every six months if it was possible.

The problem with shocks is that they wear out so gradually that we get used to the shitty ride and think it's normal. I've said many times, the greatest thing you can do to improve your riding comfort and safety is to replace your shocks. Period!

Safety: Soft or worn shocks allow excessive, sudden weigh transfer to the front when breaking. This can cause the rear breaks to lock up. Weight can also shift from side to side while cornering making handling very unpredictable. They also wear out and can lead to other suspension parts breaking.

New shocks will often remove vibration and rattles and make your vehicle ride like new. When a spring flexes going over a bump or through a pot hole it absorbs energy or in the case of a pot hole, releases energy. Either way it does it suddenly and it can set up a harmonic bouncing effect until it equalizes. The shock provides hydraulic damping and absorbs energy in the form of heat. Take your truck off road for ten minuets and then try to hold onto the shock absorber, it will be HOT.

Sorry for the ramble. Very glad you found this out and got new ones. You'll notice lots of changes over the next few days, the roads are going to feel different.

• 6 months later...

I put new shocks on my 74 620 yesterday and I agree it is a huge improvement over what was on it. It took alot of vibration out of the truck and it rides so much better. I also took the front bump stops out and cut most of the rubber off and put them back on. The truck only had half of an inch of suspension travel before I cut the bump stops, now it has almost two inches and rides pretty normal. Anyone that did not cut or remove the front bump stops will have a much better ride if they do, I would also install new shocks at the same time since you have to remove the shocks to get to the bump stop bolts. What do you guys with super slammed trucks do about suspension travel in the front? Do you have any? Does it change if you reindex the torsion bars? This is the biggest improvement I have made to my truck yet and it only took a little over an hour to do it all.

I think the general concensus is that you can lower it as much as you want if you re-index the torsion bars... although, I've yet to even look at my suspension, so I have no idea how much you can lower it before reindexing or what the procedure is... there was a bit of a write-up about it though...

Guest DatsuNoob

I think you just pull the bolts out, and turn the bracket a couple teeth in the right direction. I'll have to look at it. Was thinking about getting into it today actually. My truck has a new garage to sleep in, so I've actually been able to do some work, unlike at the apt complex. Yesterday did a gear reduction starter and the 7/8" master cylinder swap. The starter was a major improvement as well, sounds almost like my gf's '06 Sentra when it's starting. Still wanna get that front end down some more though.

p.s. I have an extra GR starter if anyone's interested too.

No, it only changes the torsion bars. You will notice as you lower the truck that you run out of bolt lenght on the adjuster and that the adjuster now points at the ground and scraps on every little bump. Re-indexing them puts the adjuster bolts and the ends of the arms back into a normal spot so they do not scrap the little bumps.

I know this does not make any sense until you see it done. Then you will wonder why it is ever done without re-indexing them.

If only lowering a couple of inches, then this should not be needed.

Jason