timing cover leaks?

i feel bad cuz there is another post about an oil leak - but its not the same one as mine!!

when my car sits, or runs it leaks a LOT.

can someone run me through some of the most common screw ups or overlooked steps when installing a timing cover? i have a feeling i am misusing the rtv, or just have done a poor job with preventing leaks. would not torquing the crank pulley to 100+ft lbs be a cause?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of times people never grease up the crankshaft seal when they install it over the crank and runs dry and just burns up, or it gets pinched over, due to installing dry then it burns up worse. Also this may sound stupid but make sure your oil filter is tight! I had a hell of a leak one time and found out my filter was about 1/2 on.

Edited by jesusno2
  • Like 1

watch for the front of the headgasket as this will leak like a s.o.b. if not between the head and the timing cover.

If you dont have or dont want to use the paper gaskets on the sides i found that right stuff works friggin great as a replacment.

Because oil flows and the fan can blow it into another area, it can drip from an area far removed from the leak. Try power washing the top of the timing chain and work down to and include the oil pan at the front. Use a car wash with lots of soap this way you can drive away and not have to clean up after. Wear a rain coat and get it clean. Cover the distributor and don't direct spray at it.

Drive home and let it dry overnight. Check the next morning and after a short drive. Take note of where the oil if most likely flowing from. Valve covers are a good source.

The torque on the crank pulley bolt won't affect any leaks on the timing cover. Did you replace the timing cover seal where the pulley pushes in? They are cheap and all you have to do is pull the pulley off to change it. As stated wipe some oil or grease on it.

Over tightening the oil pan can warp the mating surface and cause leaks.

Not a fan of RTV sealant. It's just barely adequate for use on a valve cover. Has anyone ever used it on a valve cover that never leaked??? RTV is for poor mechanics and Chevy owners that slather it on every gasket on an engine like butter on toast. When over used it squishes out from between mating surfaces and ends up in the oil pan... stuck to the pick up screen or in the oil filter. Dry gaskets on clean surfaces are best with a dab in mating corners. Many trannys and rear ends no longer have gaskets available and rely on sealers ... NOT RTV. Permatex is very good for where there is no gasket used.

Edited by datzenmike

i've got this book called "how to keep your datsun alive" which has proven quite useful since it agrees with everything you all have said. i appreciate all your feedback so quickly!

so this is where i stand with my thoughts on where its coming from.

i have NOT replaced the front seal, despite having the timing cover off several times to replace other gaskets n suuuuuch. as to how crucial this is / was / will be i still cant say because this is my FIRST car and FIRST experience with motor work / mechanics in general.

because the head gasket bit that comes out to the timing cover was pretty much bent and destroyed - i made the rash decision to clip it off (i know, bad idea) and make do with RTV. apparently i did a bad job of sealing it because oil has found a way to get through. TOMORROW i have a fresh head gasket, and oil pan gasket coming that i will source the needed portions from to properly (ghettofabulously) replace what was once there.

the threads on the bottom of the timing cover that run through the oil pan via 10mm bolts have been worn and stripped so i plan to have that taken care of by my awesome trusted machinist across town.

my brother seems to be under the impression that apparently chevy owners share where RTV shall seal all... you can imagine where THAT has gotten me... :mad:

because i want to be absolutely certain this will be the last time i take the damn cover off before i drive it from here in colorado to washington (moving), i have to make sure this leak is sealed.

IN CASE YOU DONT WANNA READ ALL THIS:

i have heard of using stuff that shows up under a blacklight to assist in finding the source of leaks. does this exist, and where can i buy it from - or is it just a matter of tearing a bunch of highlighters apart and going crazy with pouring it in the oil... lol sounds sketch.

i have NOT replaced the front seal, despite having the timing cover off several times to replace other gaskets n suuuuuch. as to how crucial this is / was / will be.

You answered your own question.

Look like a front cover pull.

a Felpro front cover gasket set has all the gaskets including the Front cover crank seal.

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=hainz&set=5&x=20&y=1

i've got this book called "how to keep your datsun alive" which has proven quite useful since it agrees with everything you all have said.

1-because the head gasket bit that comes out to the timing cover was pretty much bent and destroyed

2-make do with RTV. apparently i did a bad job of sealing it because oil has found a way to get through.

3-TOMORROW i have a fresh head gasket, and oil pan gasket coming that i will source the needed portions from to properly (ghettofabulously) replace what was once there.

the threads on the bottom of the timing cover that run through the oil pan via 10mm bolts have been worn and stripped so i plan to have that taken care of by my awesome trusted machinist across town.

4-my brother

5-because i want to be absolutely certain this will be the last time i take the damn cover off before i drive it from here in colorado to washington (moving), i have to make sure this leak is sealed.

IN CASE YOU DONT WANNA READ ALL THIS:

6- or is it just a matter of tearing a bunch of highlighters apart and going crazy with pouring it in the oil... lol sounds sketch.

read that book!

1- see your #3

2- see #4

3- clean all gasket surfaces well! do not reassemble if the cover isnt fixed!!!

4- family = :love: ..... RTV silicone for everything = :fu:

5- no time to do it right the first time, but by the 4th time youll be an expert!

6- i wanna see that video :D