15x8's no mods. should i?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I'll stick to good old fashion Panaports instead of less expensive knock off wheels.

Wow, did these fail on you? If yes, how and where?

Rotas and XXR's (sportmaxx) are known for being a bit... lacking in the shattering department. That being said, even though they're heavy, they look good and are affordable, albeit heavy.

15x8 could fit with a bit of a roll/pull up front, I'd think. But 15x7's or 15x8's with positive offset should fit easier.

heres what I think of sportmax...

I have seen wheels a lot more expensive than that hit something sideways at 45MPH with 2600lbs of car behind it and shatter.

60% of the wheels people run on there cars at the drift events I attend are knockoffs. Would you want to do that to an expensive set of wheels?

I own expensive and cheap wheels, guess what ones I run at the track?

If you drift and you have a lot of money to buy expensive wheels and risk destroying them be my guest, but don't bash people for running inexpensive wheels that are a lot more disposable in a sport that is inherently destructive to wheels.

I have seen wheels a lot more expensive than that hit something sideways at 45MPH with 2600lbs of car behind it and shatter.

60% of the wheels people run on there cars at the drift events I attend are knockoffs. Would you want to do that to an expensive set of wheels?

I own expensive and cheap wheels, guess what ones I run at the track?

If you drift and you have a lot of money to buy expensive wheels and risk destroying them be my guest, but don't bash people for running inexpensive wheels that are a lot more disposable in a sport that is inherently destructive to wheels.

show us pics of your claims... talk is cheap.

btw just cause I said the word drift doesn't mean it was on the track, read again and you'll see I made reference to street driving.

Here's one of those expensive wheels, drifted into a pole at 70+mph. bent not broken, and YES this IS fixable.

IMG_1513.jpg

lol, oooookay. Let's see the fixed wheel...or by fixed do you mean replaced the rim? Cheap or not doesn't matter...cast is cast and unless it's thick enough to simply withstand the impact then don't expect any cast wheel to hold up to a sideways blow to a curb, pavement edge, etc etc.

When I was 16, I had a civic sitting on 16" tsw's (cast aluminum) with 205/40 tires, I missed my exit at 65mph... so I swerved across the painted line section that seperated the freeway... it was 2am, tired, pitch black out (no moon and no street lights), the was a curb to keep people from doing just this... didn't not know this. My car jumped the curb up and then back down in a split second... worst sound ever. When I pulled over to asses the damage, there was no visible damge, all tires had air... so I finished my journey home. The next day I went to the tire store and had them check it out... one wheel had minor bending on the inside, nothing else.

as for the above wheel, I have seen equally bent wheels UNbent, by a profession wheel refinisher... just don't have pics.

IMG_5108copy.jpg

I guess if one picture of a wheel can prove that they all are junk I'll post another. Here's my old roommate Brian Skiba.

He won the 2008 Myrtle beach drift series on the aforementioned sport max wheels.

They have endured 2 seasons so far, tandem accidents, and numerous side impacts from going off of and then back onto a track sideways.

He hit a wall a few weeks ago with his sportmax wheels and broke a tension rod. The wheels didin't bend or break:

DSCN1326.jpg

His name-brand tension rod broke:

DSCN1330.jpg

Edited by sean1978

I used to have access to a toe truck (sucky once all my friends found out haha) A good friend of mine loved to drift his S13 in the industrial parks. In total I toed it back to his house 3 times. Each time it was well past 2am so I started calling him Late Night. Anyways one of the times he lost control and hit an island/sidewalk, he claims 35mph I think faster from the look of his car. (He ended up stripping it because the whole chassis was to bent to get straightened) Some how it clipped the back wheel and ripped it off!!! the wheel didn't brake it just removed some studs and broke the rest, while destroying the rim. It's funny that the lugs/studs gave up first. He was running some rare 17" Inkies, I forget the model. I guess my opinion is that something will break if the wheel makes contact to any obstruction at high speeds. Once you've lost control I don't think it matters to much if the wheel breaks or the suspension. I do agree with Zumm on waiting for cool rare rims. Then again sometimes it's nice to be able to choose the offset....

MMMMHHHH rims :D