L20b trans Mounting to a KA????

Lozer

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any L series tranny will physically bolt to the KA, however the KA, just like the Z series, sits more vertically than the L series when mounted. The L series is tilted about 12 degrees to the right and the tranny is oriented with the shifter vertically in the cab. If you bolt it to a KA it will be rotated 12 degrees to the left and the shifter will be against your right knee and the tranny will need a 12 degree wedge added to the mount. I suppose the shifter could be bent vertical. Don't see why it couldn't be done.

If you have access to and old or damaged Z series 5spd, you could swap the front case with the engine bolt pattern onto your L series tranny. The Z and the KA have the same tilt so the Z front case would correct this on the L tranny.

For the best solution use the KA tranny. It sits properly oriented in the car, is a far superior tranny and was built to handle the KA's power. The drive shaft will need shortening. I know you don't want to do it this way, but you never know when a good deal on a KA tranny might come along. You might want to keep your eyes open.

For the best solution use the KA tranny. It sits properly oriented in the car, is a far superior tranny and was built to handle the KA's power. The drive shaft will need shortening. I know you don't want to do it this way, but you never know when a good deal on a KA tranny might come along. You might want to keep your eyes open.

You'll be able to the 5-speed L tranny no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

the only problem i see with bending the shifter or the wedge idea is oil you would never get the trans full and always be a little on the low side at least when bolting the l trans to the z or ka now bolting the z or ka trans to an l you would have a hard time getting to the drain/ fill plugs and never get all the oil out of it when you do a fush