1987 toyota rear end.

what

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that is too wide for the 52o, like 3-4" I think. I will measure my 85 toyota tomorrow for ya, it's dark and snowing and I just don't feel like it right now. I will measure flange to flange.

I have a freind with a 1971 datsun 521 pickup. He doesnt have a computor and i dont know the answer so i will ask the best. He wants to put a 1987 toyota pickup rear end with a 4.10 welded diff. Will this work?

For what it's worth, a welded diff is way dangerous. I know, a lot of people will say they had them for years and no problems, but that's just because they didn't have a problem. On a turn, specially a fast tight turn, the inside wheel will have less distance to travel and so turns slower. The outside wheel travels further and has to go faster. A welded diff forces both wheels to turn the same amount... get it? Something has to give and one or both tires loose traction and are actually sliding on the pavement. This can cause sudden and complete loss of control and the back end will slide around on you. Add to this varying traction such as water or gravel under one wheel on a corner or changing cross fall of the road and it becomes very unstable. A welded rear end also tries to force the vehicle to travel in a straight forward direction, (understeer) and will fight any steering input. In a panic situation on a curved wet road with brakes on trying to steer away from an accident is not the time to learn this.

Rear ends are designed to allow wheels to turn at differing speeds. Even a clutch LSD will do this. A locker diff is a special off road application and is not used on roads.

^^^your totally right as far as this being dangerous on the streets, my buddy lost traction in a little water and slammed his 54 ford that we had spent a couple of years building into a tree and popped the window out with his face. He's okay, but the car was a total loss and I learned alot, not going to run any spools or lockers on the street any time soon.

if you were closer i'd trade you with the one in my 82 toyota pickup... i need an IFS rear bad...

i have this problem called "cant flex" lol my tires slam into my frame and limit the hell out of my flex.

here is a pic flexed out and im only half way to what i "should" be able to do...

l_ec103ce1c9414158837bbd6cb5cf8832.jpg

l_444d72f3070444df98de393dbb84f178.jpg

l_36f8699fa74e497998518a1729fbdb1d.jpg

l_1df1872a176e4b5daab0dc101d071595.jpg

sucks when im crawling and all i hear are my tires getting eaten up against my own truck.:(

Edited by sly-yota

damn, you need to get some wheel spacers on there, I had a set of 1-1/2" on my 4 runner with 37, 4" lift, no rubbing, also try getting some steel wheels with 2" back spacing. I will post a pic of it on my profile.

damn, you need to get some wheel spacers on there, I had a set of 1-1/2" on my 4 runner with 37, 4" lift, no rubbing, also try getting some steel wheels with 2" back spacing. I will post a pic of it on my profile.

i have the 2" back spacing, i need an ifs rear for another 1.5" on each side and then some spacers in the front.:cool:

its ok though... this truck is going to die soon. i have it scheduled to go under the knife. im going to cut this one up and buy a new one. i also have a little problem solver sitting on my work bench, my spare front axle, thats turning into a rear steer axle. :fu::lol:

i have the 2" back spacing, i need an ifs rear for another 1.5" on each side and then some spacers in the front.:cool:

its ok though... this truck is going to die soon. i have it scheduled to go under the knife. im going to cut this one up and buy a new one. i also have a little problem solver sitting on my work bench, my spare front axle, thats turning into a rear steer axle. :fu::lol:

UMMMMMMMMM.....:mellow:????

Birfields in the rear too eh? Sounds flippin sketchy bro. I went through 3 of em on the front of my FJ60. It was locked with 4.88s and 35 MTRs...seems like you are gonna be askin for trouble with that set up.

Get some SuperBirfs maybe..?

For all the work it takes to rear steer your truck it might make more sense to go Dana60 or Corp. 14 bolt. Spring perches and driveline mods seem way easier than the hydro fab required to make the rear steer. Find a matching 60 for the front...($$$)???

Unimog axles? Planetary gear tractor Bigfoot, hydro steer 4 ton Rockewells??

:lol::lol:

Good luck man...I like your Yota!

do you get pulled over all the time for not running with mud flaps? I used to when I lived in Oak Harbor, the cops were always sweating me for that and fender flares? I had 38" boggers on full width chev. axles under a 85 toyota? None of that was going to do a bit of good, but I had to play nice if I ever wanted to go any where without getting pinched.

picture.php?albumid=177&pictureid=822

Edited by tyson
2eDeYe;132795']That's mostly because you we're in Oak Harbor :lol:

Cheap insurance to run mudflaps on the street. It's pretty easy to add in a quick release feature for off road.

my release feature was the bolts that held them on..lmao... they are in the back of the truck from when i took it wheeling last and my buddie fallowing me picked them up when they came off...:lol:

but yes i do run them all the time and i have only been pulled over once and they red flagged my truck for having un-matched vins so she is only a t4railer queen untill i roll and distroy it enough to not care anymore. im buying a whole new truck and turning this thing into a pile of demolished parts... so i should have some good video's in the near future.

as for the rear steer...bobby long is going to make me a set of custom longfields with a lifetime gar. eventhough they will cost me close to $950 for the axles they'll be worth it to never worry about buying new ones. that and he lives about 45 min drive away from me :fu:

Longfields are the real deal man!:cool:

I almost bought a set of his when they first hit Pirate4x4 threads in like 2001

Then I had to sell my truck:mad:

Yeah, I am gonna get some mudflaps for my 521...the 195-75-14s really throw the mud after a good Bog session...:lol:

back on topic...

a toyota hilux (74-78) has a 8in rear diff that comes in 4.10 or 4.38. and is way skinnier then the 4wd axl.

only issue is its a 5 lug, from what ive read you can use the 6 lug axl shafts as long as the diff is the same. i have yet to swap around for fun or something.

when i get off my ass today ill measure my 75, then if i dont drown the info in beer later ill remember to post it up.

ps: sly yota, your truck flexes like crap. get some better offset rims, you should be able to do this stock, or i can at least.

DSCN0703.jpg