Mystery: Can you name this engine? Or anything else?

I have been nothing but positive so far but honestly I don't buy 350hp. Maybe it did at some time make that, anything is possible. The way I'm seeing it though....

-1.6 stock making ASE 67hp gross stock. Anyone remember how bloated ASE hp ratings were in that era? Our Datsuns are prime examples. I still laugh when people quote the L series ratings.

-Running compression low enough to burn gas until its full spool then alc injection. Not like its super high comp running just alc or super high boost. Carbed at that, with a fairly inefficient intake set up.

-I'll assume the best possible flow that model engine ever saw (from intake mani on) due to the larger valves, port etc for convo's sake....

Just think for a second what it takes modern forced induction dohc motors of similar size to make that kind of actual power without bs like nos. Then compare it.

350hp to me is a HUGE pill to swallow. Again maybe I'm wrong, that's just how I'm seeing it.

I really like the car, it's mad max style (although I don't agree with most of the actual choices) is actually right up my ally but that said I'd take the ratings and its performance with a grain of salt. Front engine, wrong wheel drive but longitudinally mounted? If that car is 1200lbs then I venture to say like 70% of it is hanging in front. I don't even want to imagine how hard that car would be to drive all said and done.

Its damn interesting, cool and original even by today's standards but a super car it is not.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for all the interest in this old ride. I feel that it realy got some peaple saying "NO Way" and I don't have any dyno sheets to show you.

I'm just a 48yr old kid sticking up for what was built way back when.

When this engine had the SC pullys for racing installed it was huffing out 18lbs of boost. The crank, rods and flywheel were givin' a hair cut then sent out for balancing. It ran on a mixture of aviation fuel and octain booster. The cam (Web) was too much. As in overlap and thus the alcohol injec. He didn't want to melt his one off pistons I remember they were dished and him measuring the cc s of the combustion chambers. and grumbling while taking more material out.

The headers you see were completly wraped up and insulated where they pass by the carbs and then go through the fenders. they glowed red hot.

Anyway maybe we are way off on the HP est. who knows. The builder was racing a non ssca legal class F sprite that had class C record at louden in NH at the time. "The Beast" a C.O.M. member in past.

As you can tell I'm proud of my Daddy. I wish I had the slicks and light wheels they were on so you all could see it in racing ready trim. It was a inch and a half off the ground. If he was younger he would rip it all down and make it all wheel drive. It was a hard car to keep hooked up with slicks never mind with those little street meats. Long travel on the gas pedal helped. Todays traction control would be nice. It was a "Bear" to drive. Some happy day when I'm not married to all the diesels I keep running at work it will breath fire again. The car was put up when it ran out of valve adjustment. push rods made of light weight grafite alloy didn't like the hand made lifter caps. So the engine needs to be pulled all the way down to change them.

Dads heath slowed him down and I was off shore all the time. This sucks.

I think I'm going take some time off. Spend it with him.

Today though it's a old Rusty Ratsun Truck that wants to go out and play.

IMG_0015.jpg

Thank you again guys, this is fun and I look forward to sharing my RATSFUN!

Peace, WRAT

Here is a link and a picture of a Panhard

http://www.studiotimecapsule.com/panhard_24ct_one_of_unique_french_sports_car

Panhardmotor60HP.jpg[/img]

Power unit is hot version "Tiger engine", it is air cooled flat twin 848cc with 60HP like BMW motorcycle engine.

I believe the mystery car Is a customized Pan hard

Chalie

Jeff you should start two project threads in the project thread section. One for the 620 and on efor the 411. And whenever you do something new you just update your thread!

(I should talk, I've been lazy and haven't had a real update on mine since last summer!)

Dads heath slowed him down and I was off shore all the time. This sucks.

I think I'm going take some time off. Spend it with him.

WRAT

If you can't see him today call him up. Life is so short don't miss any opportunity to spend some time with your father. I call my dad weekly and talk about the weather. Usually one thing leads to another and we talk about family and neighbors and 'stuff'. He's 89 now and lives 3,000 miles away and I try to visit every year or so. I miss him now more than I did when I was a kid who thought everything lasts forever. Find the time.

mike

Guest jaimesix
I love how you constantly live by your signature Jaime....:rolleyes:

Whatever.

I can see this was a direct jab at me.:eek:

I love cars, specially older cars that are restored or masde performance machines. Our Datsuns, as well as many other brands and styles are worthy of restoration.

I do not mind engine swaps, it is bettwr to see a classic car driving around than having a classic car end in a junk yard just because its performance is not up to date. Some need more power, but want the look of a classic, and classic looks plus performance modifications make that happen.

In this case, a good powerfull motor ( which I said before, Subaru engines are, powerfull, reliable engines ) has been swapped into this Bug Eye Sprite.

Originaly I was hopping this car was a kit car, some Frankenstein creation that was somewhat curious and peculiar. Later on it came to be a Bug Eye Sprite. That is a beautifull car, precious as any of our beloved Datsuns, and precious as any classic car is in the eyes of its owner and protector.

This Bug Eye Sprite has been defaced, and that is the point of my comment. It is not a show of disrespect, but the reaction any classic car lover would have at such work. This Bug Eye Sprite ( as any Datsun, Chrysler, Simca or any car demmed classic by its followers ) has been chopped in an aweful manner, the rear of this Sprite, which is beautifull by design, has been destroyed. The front has been altered by turning its nice factory fascia into a rectangular lamp strange car.

The technological development in this car is great, the Subaru engine mounted in a front engine rear wheel drive configuration, but the classic car destruction is sad.

I would say the same about a Datsun 510, or a 620 p/u ( mention those models because those 2 Datsuns seem to be the most common in this site ) had it been chopped off at its rear end, in favor of generic tail lamps, and square headlamps imposed on front, changing the shape.

Mine is a comment, a position I hold on classic cars. It is not exercise in disrespect. On the contrary, you would not want to read what Bug Eye Sprite fans would say about this creation.

To the builder of this car, I hope my words were no offense, because my words did not have as intention offense at all, but to voice my displeasure at disfiguring such a beautifull car as a Bug Eye Sprite. I understand this work was done a long time ago, that probably explains it. In the 70s, everything was open to crazy body shapes. There were VW buses with fiber glass strange bodies, VW bug 2 seaters, all kinds of fiberglass work. Bubble glass.I also understand that what is classic today, was not so years ago, and in the 70s, a Sprite was just a 10 year old car.

In todays world, at first glance, it is sad to look at this car ( specially the rear.)

I am surprised to read someone trying to twist my words, someone who digs into classic Datsuns and does not understand my pain when I see a defaced classic car today.

That Sprite would be an awesome car with that engine in place, plus the Sprite tail and the Sprite front look. What I did not realize was that this body modification was done years ago. It does not take the defacing action away, but it explains it.

Thanks for sharing that great engine work Wharf. Hope you spend more time with your old man, send him a present, something he might enjoy.

My father passed away a while ago, but one day out of the blue I decided to buy him a book on cars. I calculated that he was in his teens and early 20s in the late 40's early 50s. So I bought a cool book on cars from the 40s and 50s. Nothing fancy, but something that would bring excellent memories back to the frontline, cars he probably traveled in and cars he probably wanted as a young man.

Years later, after he passed away, his secretary told me my dad would pause every day, at his office, open a drawer, and fancy at this book like a little kid opening his trunk of treasures. He would sit at his desk, and go through the book like it was the 40s and 50s.

That was the best thing I could had ever heard, and I feel good to know my dad enjoyed that book as the young man he was back when he lived through those cars.

Jaime._____________________________________________________________________________

Edited by jaimesix

Yes Dad is more about function then looks. I explained what the car is in a post before the later one, it was a wrecked race car that came back to him. When he turned it into a race car it was a wrecked new car. Poor old bug took a hit to the nose and then another to the arss. Then like a good bug it mutated.

The Grizzly is front wheel drive with inboard Disc brakes. independent adjustable susp. (torsion bar).

I didn't mean to jab anyone here, I'm just having fun and think this was ment to be.

Thank you for the Father son support I am going to call the "Ol' Bastard" as I call him (he loves it) more often! He has a trophy case at home that he took a bunch of his racing trophys out and replaced them with cast model cars, he sits and remembers.

Peace Wharf Rat