Z22E or LZ22

novita1021

okay i finaly picked up the Z22E my buddy isnt using in his roadster:D free haha...well ive been asking around and ive read that turbo Z motors are fast but expensive...then ive read about L head on the Z block...i was thinking i have a A87 head, header and twin SUs in my closet ive been wanting to use just havent had a chance to...so yeah im not sure what route to go on this...its most likely going on my 2door...ohh yeah and about the tilt what can i do to fix that so the engine sits straight...

the Z22e is complete with tranny ecu wiring harness and all that other stuff...what would i need to make it work on my 510??:blink:

any help would be great...

fuel injection or carbed..

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure u want to use the a87 head for that combination.. i could be wrong but i think it would make some crazy high compression.. im sure someone knows better then i do.. altho if you could get a thicker head gasket to decrease the compression that might work.. IIRC its something like 11:1 or some crap..

also i think you need to modify a l20 timing cover.. as for the lean i dont think u need to worry about that if you use the transmission that comes with the engine.. altho it maybe to long... so maybe just do the bell housing swap.. datzenmike would know.. and i'd just run the dual carbs if they're complete and in working order.. also i think you need to run the l20 distributor, the EI would be the best route but im sure a points dizzy would work as a temp.. and as for motor mounts i think you just use your stock ones??

hope that helps man :)

yeah it does srt of help a bit...just about the compression thing sort of scares me...and the whole tilt thing is still confusing...if I use the tranny that came with the engine will it work?

or if the fuel injection can be used how will I have to wire it and what else would I maybe need...

well if u use the fuel injection u wont be able to use the L head... but u wouldnt need much, the wiring harness, ecu ect.. what did the z22 come out of?? if your putting it in a 510 i dont think a long tail tranny will work very well, but maybe theres other alternitives... altho maybe if u just fab a new tranny x-member an drive shaft it will work, im not super familiar with the swap you want to do, i've seen lz setups but usualy in a truck, altho dave bothwell had a setup like that in his 510 wagon, dual carbs.. l head on a z22 block... i wonder if you use a l head timing cover maybe oil pan? an maybe l motor mounts if u can get rid of the tilt????? hmm jus keep bumpin the thread someone will know, or maybe try searchin? idk if u will find waht u need to know tho lol

You will need:

One set of L series motor mounts. This, as Jason said, will position the Z block in the L position so that you can use the L head and tranny.

Everything forward of the block from an L20B: timing chain/cover/sprocket/oil

pump/spindle/distributor/pulley/tensioner... everything.

L20B oil pan, L16 or L18 might work too.

Intake and exhaust manifolds to match the L head you choose.

You will need to:

Move the dip stick to the right side or check oil when engine is cold.

Move ALL L20B timing gear and parts onto the front of the Z22 block.

Install L series oil pan and motor mounts.

Install L head and manifolds.

The Z22E was only used on the '81 and '82 200sx car.

A Z22 block with a closed chamber (P-nut) A-87 head will have a compression of: 10.51 an open chamber head is 9.8

With L series motor mounts on, this block becomes basically a 2.2 liter L series motor. Any L series 4 or 5 speed will bolt up to it now. Not sure weather the Z22 has a 200mm or a 225mm clutch so the stock throw out bearing collar may have to be changed to suit. The stock 4 speed is a bit light for this much stronger motor. Dogleg 5spds are only the same but with overdrive. I suggest a 620 or 280 z/zx 5spd. They are more plentiful, newer, stronger, more gear and overdrive gear choices but you will need a shorter drive shaft and tranny mount mods.

Edited by datzenmike

I'd use a U67 or U60 head for the 2.2. U67 being the largest chamber volume, and when opened up, flows the best for large-displacement L motors.

And who says you can't do FI on an L motor? Just need to have a manifold made, a few other odds and ends. I know an excellent fabricator in Spokane who happens to make beautiful 4 cyl L series FI manifolds.

I would like to do turbo so fi would be best right...but they I like the sound of a high comp motor...lets say I do decide to go fi...

will I need to add an electric fuel pump...

how hrd will it be to wire it to the car...

ima try and post some piks of later on when I get home...

or if the carbed Z22 why the U67 or U60 head...I would have thought the A87 would be a better combo..especialy with a cam and some sidedrafts...what difference will it make...or what if I just use the Z24 manifold that was carb and use the weber 32/36..

im sure there are a lot of combinations on how to run it and everyone has there own opinion...

I just want to do something where im not overwhelmed with work and is in my skill level...

Because the L combustion chamber are at least 10cm smaller than the Z22 you want one one from a larger L20B motor to keep the compression down on a larger 2,2 liter motor. The added size also needs large size ports and valves in order to breathe. The A-87 will work... but I wouldn't use a closed chamber if you plan to use a turbo later.

9.8 compression is pretty high for a turbo but do-able if you use an inter cooler and keep the boost reasonable.

You will need a hi pressure fuel pump foe EFI.

The Z24 intake will only bolt to a Z series head.