datsun620lover

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will it fit?

NO: it won't 'drop in'.

YES: Anything can be made to fit/work with enough money/parts/time and a wire feed wrench. Almost for sure the oil pan won't clear the 620 cross brace/steering at the front. The tranny will bolt up but front of motor is so long the fan will be just behind the grill so rad will have to go in the back with electric fans. OR motor can be moved back 6-8" to keep stock rad but the firewall will have to be cut out, heated removed for room, tranny mount moved back and shifter moved back. Cutting into the body almost always turns out bad/unfinished and the poor vehicle gets scrapped even if it is done with the best intentions.

This falls under the 'should it be done' and not the 'can it be done' category. The L28 will add front end weight the 620 doesn't need. There are much better 4cyl engines that have equal power/more power and are easier to install, lighter and give better mileage. The KA24E comes to mind. Cheap, 140 hp, common, lots of after market support, was installed in Hardbody trucks, is well documented being swapped into a 620.

A VG30i or VG30E if you want power. Stay away from turbo engines, just more work than worth.

Edited by datzenmike

If you talking about a "Rat Rod" that will just be used in the summer time, take out the heater and notch the firewall to fit. Leave the front alone. It would be cool. Keep in mind your shifter will sit 2 cylinders behind it's current location though.:rolleyes:

If you talking about a "Rat Rod" that will just be used in the summer time, take out the heater and notch the firewall to fit. Leave the front alone. It would be cool. Keep in mind your shifter will sit 2 cylinders behind it's current location though.:rolleyes:

yeah, thats what i was thinking... i just like the six better then the four.

anyone know sites for parts?

Parts? I think it's unlikely there is a commerical kit to fit L28 engines in Datsun pickups...

I wouldn't setback the engine. Just bolt it up front. You can still turn a corner in it. Unless you really need a 620 sports car. Way up front would be so cool. They have fitted Nissan straight sixes in little Datsun 1200s, so it should be possible in the big 620.

im kinda with mike tho, altho it CAN but done.. maybe it shouldnt be done.. but if he really really wants to then thats cool, but i seriously dont see it happening because of whats needed to doit... but if he does doit i hope he documents the crap out of the whole process and takes tons of pics

!!