My battle with Home Depot, Husky and Stanley Tools.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do want to clear one thing up. I didn't plan on putting my broken ratchet in the new $20 kit and returning it for my money back. I was going to return it to get another kit since they will replace the small kit for the broken ratchet, but not my big kit. I would feel bad if i returned it and got my money back only for them to stick it back on the shelf and some other poor sucker get the broken ratchet in a "new" set.

Ive almost given up on having a good 1/4'' ratchet since the Craftsman one was messed up out of the box. It would ratchet one way, but not the other. I was going to take it back, but i stuck it in the vice and got it to spin, works fine now. If it does break, it goes back.

00935154000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00935154000P?adCell=A3

This is the kit i bought. According to the reviews, the ratchet issue is common.

Ya I would say craftsman sockets are better
Yes, never had a problem with Craftsman sockets except the occasional breakage (crack the socket). Never have I ever rounded bolt with them, six or 12-point, I'm surprised to hear about "loose" sockets. However mine were mostly purchased in the '80s -- maybe Craftsman not as good as they used to be? The Craftsman ratchets break a lot, but only because I use the 3/8" ratchet for almost everything instead of carrying heavier 1/2" ratchet sets around. That's why I bought a MAC ratchet, because it was so much better. I paid about 5x more for the MAC part.

I do most of my work "mobile" and so don't like to carry heavy toolboxes around. A fulltime pro's needs are a bit different from shadetree mechanics like most of us Ratsuns.

PROTO and many other (formerly) "american" brands used to be strong tools back in the 80s, but they were so big and thick they didn't work very well for car repair work.

Yes, never had a problem with Craftsman sockets except the occasional breakage (crack the socket). Never have I ever rounded bolt with them, six or 12-point, I'm surprised to hear about "loose" sockets. However mine were mostly purchased in the '80s -- maybe Craftsman not as good as they used to be? The Craftsman ratchets break a lot, but only because I use the 3/8" ratchet for almost everything instead of carrying heavier 1/2" ratchet sets around. That's why I bought a MAC ratchet, because it was so much better. I paid about 5x more for the MAC part.

I do most of my work "mobile" and so don't like to carry heavy toolboxes around. A fulltime pro's needs are a bit different from shadetree mechanics like most of us Ratsuns.

PROTO and many other (formerly) "american" brands used to be strong tools back in the 80s, but they were so big and thick they didn't work very well for car repair work.

In my previous post I was referring to husky about the loose sockets, just to clear that up. I'm sure your 80's are way better too, I have a small 80's set I use for non auto that is far superior comparatively speaking(craftsman vs craftsman). Was a different America then, and a different China lol. Now to keep any manufacturing in this country it has to be on the cheep or it gets outsourced, thnx NAFTA, great plan.

That cracked socket makes me nervous. I never had a craftsman, husky or snap on break, only the cheap cast Chinese ones that one is sometimes forced to use. It makes me nervous because while un-torquing a vg30dett head the 10hex snapped and my hand slammed into the firewall cutting it all to shit down to the bone. Just another reason why I don't even take the risk.

I mean its very true the average person doesn't NEED the best of the best but they don't need to hurt themselves or make the job harder either.

It's all a balance, we each choose out own :-).

Gloves -- that's a good point. Also using thin rubber gloves to keep grease off. Unfortunately I learned the old way, no gloves, and still cannot get used to wearing gloves. I got a lot of tiny scars on my hands.

That reminds me I remember cheap sockets cracking and breaking in two, not a fun experience. The Craftsman ones that I've cracked are pretty tough they crack w/o breaking. Just recently I cracked a six-point on a head bolt that was stuck. No broken knuckles. My experience is that they've been a very good value. I remember buying some Snap-On and Mac sockets (which are very thin) for working on carburetor and manifold bolts where there is almost no room to get a socket in there -- but the premium ones would slip in. Worth the money.

Gashed right through sorry to say lol. I'm usually a prude with gloves because I hate not being able to feel every little thing. That day though I had them on.

The lesson I apply is to pull instead of push :-). That way I only punch myself in the face haha.

in like 4 years i've had about 3 sockets crack *but didnt brake) 1 extension brake i forget what i was usin it for but basicly ima a dumb ass an shouldnt of been doin that lol.. but never any ratchets so far, altho i've broken about 3-4 cheapy ratchets as well as some wrenches an such, i've never broken a craftsmen wrench so far..

i had the same set posted above before, but now i have the 4 droor chest, i forget how many pc. i think 250? but now i got some huskys i still need to check out.. been in trunk of car since xmas lol

This is the kit i bought. According to the reviews, the ratchet issue is common.

YES! take the ratchets in and see if you can either replace them w/the lever that is solid silver and simple button(80'S???) or upgrade to the 'professional' series. at a 'NO ? ASKED' store its what ive done.

ive replaced the 1/4" and 1/2" drives :D

I never had a craftsman, husky or snap on break

ive broken every brand... :rollseyes:

gotta love lifetime gauruntees :cool:

for a Japanese car :fu:

better than chinese tools on any car :blink:

YES! take the ratchets in and see if you can either replace them w/the lever that is solid silver and simple button(80'S???) or upgrade to the 'professional' series. at a 'NO ? ASKED' store its what ive done.

ive replaced the 1/4" and 1/2" drives :D

ive broken every brand... :rollseyes:

gotta love lifetime gauruntees :cool:

better than chinese tools on any car :blink:

I was referring to sockets. I hope for your sake you haven't broke every brand of socket lol.

Edit: Also, you broke a snapon drive? You threw it into the ocean or what? lol I have done such ridiculous things to mine and it laughs at me. Couple months ago I was hitting the end of the breaker bar (2'x1" pipe) That was on my 3/8 with a baby sledge trying to break loose a rusted 1 1/4 bolt, it was freezing too. The drive triumphed again.

Edited by 72240z

Anyone ever SEEN Japanese made tools? They certainly don't make sets today. There were a couple wrenches in my folk's '73ish Toyota's toolkit that were scary.

I've never had a problem replacing Craftsman tools. Never even asked how I broke them (I didn't break them. Other folks did then threw them away; I'd raid the trash for broken tools and exchange them).

I've broken plenty of cheap garbage sockets back when I first started working on my cars. Fortunately seldom causing injury... I was using my feet to break loose the 19mm head suspension bolts on my first 510 Hatchback and had a Japanese 1970s blue-box kit cast socket explode.

Some folks have seen me working in junkyards STANDING on the engine or lying under the car using my feet to break stubborn bolts loose. It's leftover experience after crushing my thumb when a rusted bolt on a Volvo Boat engine sheared off when I put every ounce I had on it trying to remove it. I'd rather have to fetch the breaker bar and socket 20ft away after it flies off rather than have to get medical attention and tetanus shots smacking a rusted, oily exhaust flange when the bolt breaks.

^Reading that made me think of when i swapped the carb out on my old 83 sentra. I got the bolts off, but that sucker had never been off in 20 years and was STUCK. I took off the hood of the car, got over the carb and pulled with all ive got. When it came off, i got smacked in the nuts by the carb and ended up laying in front of the car on the grass with the old carb about 30' in front of me.

Hey, i was useing what i had at the time. I couldn't get into my granddads tool big tool box since it was locked, so i used what i had. Yes i will be buying breaker bars for all 3 sizes when i get the money. Ive got a slow upgrade going on, as i sell junk from the yard, ill buy new tools and maybe build the front and back walls for my shop.

How about, instead of using a ratchet with a pipe, use an actual breaker bar? Wouldn't that make more sense? They're not really expensive.

If thats in response to my post then I would say because It's all I had in the middle of no where. I have a 1.5' and 2.5' breaker bar I just don't happen to carry them everywhere I go lol. Where as I DO carry a small socket set everywhere I go, because you never know.

The point was thats some crazy abusive strain to put on a 3/8 drive, that it was no where near close to being designed for. The fact it was just as perfect after leaves me very impressed if hang_510 has broken one and I'm very curious to know how.

Ya know what guys. I have broken craftsman, matco, snap on, etc. Thats my point. They are all going to have weaknesses but if you do buy a tool, usually the more money you spend the better the quality. I don't think you would put a race motor together with a 20 dollar torque wrench from Harbor Freight, right? Oh wait...maybe some would:lol:

Bandit240, I was hoping you weren't returning the bad wrench with the kit. That wouldn't be cool.

Also, We all started our tools with dad getting us a pack of screwdrivers for our 10'th birthday to work on our bike.....lighten up on the you must have this! not you bandit.

Edited by fiveNdime

Nah, at the age of ten i was useing the tools in my granddads shop. He has a collection of Snap-on, Mac, Craftsman, SK and about every good tool brand there is. He started working on cars back in the 40's so the collection is huge. Yet there are times that i cant get into his big tool box to get what i need. Im also building my collection since i dont get to take his when i move out of here.

As for returning the ratchet in the new kit, the plan was to take it back as if the "new" ratchet broke and get another kit with a good ratchet. I wasnt going to return the kit just to get my money back with the broken ratchet. I would feel bad know that it would go right back out on the shelf and some poor sucker would buy it for their kid or something with a broken ratchet.

How about, instead of using a ratchet with a pipe, use an actual breaker bar? Wouldn't that make more sense? They're not really expensive.

yeah! use the breaker bar w/the pipe. i use the floor jack handle :lol:

Yet there are times that i cant get into his big tool box to get what i need. Im also building my collection since i dont get to take his when i move out of here.

if it wasnt locked, youd be REbuilding his collection and not yours. youll understand when your son(daughter :D ) 'borrows' your tools and then you cant locate them :cursing:

my son has a nice set garage sale tools... that i didnt keep for myself, or return to sears for new.

Like others i have broken many from 1/4 to 3/4 but the last craftman 1/2 flex head long handle one has done great. Even got a 1/2 older walmart brand that has done more than its share. I rarely find a use for 1/4 stuff though. I still might have some bench top kmart stuff from the 80's. oh well sears never has gave me a problem.