The 521... OK, after eliminating all the other culprits... valves???

hessianben

hmmm i think there are certain types of head gaskets that shouldnt be reused like that... but i think the regular ones for our motors will be ok, i did the same thing you did except i did the timing set but the chain went slack when puttin it all back together or something i forget what happend but i reused mine an its been fine for a long while now, but i didnt run the motor, pretty much same as u bolted it down fucked up an then unbolted it but i'd wait for a few more people to speak up

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...Run it, If its messed up you should have the new one on in an afternoon with everything fresh in your head. Figure if its bad the time spent replacing it is good practice if nothing else.

If you got one of the cheap pressed perforated metal exhaust looking gaskets toss it in the garbage whether it looks good or not and get a decent headgasket.

Why take the head off? Leave it and just change the chain and guides with it on. If taking off for $15 and peace of mind get a new one. If the motor was never started the old one will still be good. After several starts and cool downs re-check the torque with motor cold.

I wouldn't even consider re-using that gasket on my truck. Not worth all the extra labor to save $15.

The other reason that i would not re-use on your motor is because all this work is being done due to a suspected bad head gasket, right? Why would you reinstall a head gasket that is arguably questionable. For $15 and piece of mind, just buy a new one, a Felpro.

IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE !!!

WELL, AFTER STAYING UP UNTIL 7:30 THIS MORNING (NO JOKE) ... AND WORKING ALL DAY TODAY...

I'VE:

changed the faulty vacuum advance diaphragm

adjusted the valve lash

pulled and cleaned the intake/exhaust manifolds

pulled and cleaned the head/valves

tore the motor down to the block

new timing chain (sync'd up per the Hainz video) and tensioner

new timing cover gaskets

cleaned timing cover, oil pump, water pump

new head gasket

new intake/exhaust gaskets

fresh fuel lines, coolant lines

gapped the dizzy...

and after all that..

IT F*ING STARTED!!! AND IT IDLES BETTER THAN BEFORE!

I didn't rev it because it's midnight and my neighbors have guns :D:D:D

, but it sounds solid.

I'm too freaking tired to do anything right now, but tomorrow I'll post some pics and vid.

I still have to fix an exhaust leak and run another compression test to see if the numbers are any better, but I'm SOO FREAKING HAPPY THAT I DIDN'T KILL IT!!

I thought for sure I'd forgotten to do something stupid. haha

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP!