Rack and Pinion on a 620

Jester

OK. So I'm looking into putting rack and pinion steering on my '79 Datsun PU. I have measured the space between the balljoints (43") and the distance between the lower arm pivots.(about 16")

Question: Do the lower arm pivots and the pivots points on the Pack and pinion have to match? If they don't will they cause an ill effect in steering.

I will be keeping the ride hight pretty close to stock. Maybe lowered an inch.

Thanks for any help or advise.

Jes

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe you want to keep the pivot points as close as possible. If you look at it in circles the larger the circle (or portion there of) the less it will pull in or push out on the steering when under a load or when the suspension compresses/unloads. I hope this makes sense. I can picture it in my head but somehow things get lost in translation.:lol:

I had to think about what you said a little to get it. At least I think I got it. By circles your refering to the length from the tierod end to the pivot and from the tierod to the joint in the rack makeing up the diameter. The circle would be bit smaller with the rack. hmmmmm:rolleyes:

I think thats it. If you take a long length pivot say an 18" arm and move it up 3" it will pull the steering arm in maybe 1/2" vs. a 6" arm moving up the same 3" would maybe pull the steering arm 1 1/2" thus giving you bad geometry.

A Z rack is too wide.As as MOST production racks.A Mustang II/Pinto rack is also too wide.

BEWARE of Bump Steer.

dont quote me but i think the gen 1 rx7 guys use the racks outta old vw's that might be worth a look into.

I was digging in an issue of Streeet Rodder and found an add from Unisteer.

A bit steep on the price but damn. Rack and pinion of a 620....:cool:

Custom lengths can be ordered. Check it out.

That's waht i found out.It would take a custom rack to fit.For what i'm doing with the truck,i couldn't justify the price.:(

There is more to this than just measuring.Consult a fabricator that does rack conversions for a living and find out how to measure for an ACCURATE fit.

There is more involved than laying a "tape" across it and saying:Yeah-that'll fit.

And if the guy doesn't mention "bump steer"-run away as fast as you can.