l20b chain slop?

Lozer

no compression with the plugs out... :D

yeah, you got me on that one..:rolleyes: At tdc the #1 piston at its top and rotating the #1 valves both open then closed without turning the crank and no problem?? Tells me that the valves do not intersect with the piston crown.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never turned the cam after the head was installed, just crank clockwise from tdc, stop, then back to exactly tdc... Install chain, and no more stopping... I will admit it was just a light stop, but who would chance it?

I would HAHA:D Been through a few L motors.

V

guba.com then write hainz and the video should come up.

as for turning the cam you dont turn a cam when the chain is not installed.

one should set up the head to TDC then set motor up to TDC place head on block. Now put the chain on. If chain was not on you would end up hitting a piston valve. Once chain is ON and with in reasonable timmed everything will be in rotation,

as for the slack side guide you will put the tensioner in all the way and the guide can be somewhat adj by using the slot and pushing it in making a nice arch.

I myself will pull the front timing cover to do this and know its correct. Doing the head wooden block way the tensioner can come out and get cocked and lodge. Also if the tensioner is worn to the metal which will make a grinding sound.Dont forget the waterpump bolt the long one will cause a grinding sound on the tight side guide if a longer bolt is installed.

Most timing chains are really never totally bad but its so cheap to buy a new set. If anything get a new tensioner and slack side guide for a cheap way out but by then you could have paid more and got a whole new set.

anotherthing when Ryan, Bleach and I were working on Ryans truck one bolt on the tensioer housing was sheared off causing it to cockeye and he wanted to run it,it made a grinding noise.

this is why i say pull the front cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!