is this block fucked?

I have a z24 engine block that I just pulled out of my nissan 720 after blowing the head gasket and overheating.I got it cleaned up and noticed there are small cracks between the coolant pasages near the head bolt holes do you guys think I need a new block? If so anyone in the bellingham/Seattle washington area have one they want to get rid of?

1721959331912896216805563751718.jpg

17219597747819132316291109358248.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome that's what I was thinking but this is my first engine rebuild so I figured I should check with others that have more experience. I thought that spot looked like it would be prone to cracking but not too critical if it does. Thanks for the response and all the other help I've gotten from reading your other posts on here.

Well a crack is a stress reliever and while I wouldn't go racing on it, it's good enough for every day. Coolant can't get out anywhere. Bet half the running L and Z series engines have cracks somewhere on them and they're fine.

I think this was Sealik's block and he had it welded and decked.

6 hours ago, DwayneOxford said:

1st thing I do when I get a vehicle is add this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bars-1109-Liquid-Copper-Radiator/dp

I've never seen that stuff before but I was allready thinking about maybe using the copper head gasket spray because of the cracks maybe I'll give this a shot. seems like it's worked good for a lot of people based on the Amazon reviews.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Well a crack is a stress reliever and while I wouldn't go racing on it, it's good enough for every day. Coolant can't get out anywhere. Bet half the running L and Z series engines have cracks somewhere on them and they're fine.

I think this was Sealik's block and he had it welded and decked.

my only concern was that the crack might make it possible for the coolant to saturate the headgasket and cause it to fail but i dont even know if thats possible with the matirial that the gaskets are made of. I was thinking about maybe using the copper head gasket spray stuff because of the cracks a a few other small imperfections on the block mating surface.

image.jpeg.1cfbe1d1fa9fc22d8d31fb41867d2e06.jpeg

Other than the round head bolt hole the other three have the holes in the head gasket for coolant circulation. What i'm saying is there are over 2 dozen openings in the head gasket exposed to coolant.

13 hours ago, Cirrus720 said:

I've never seen that stuff before but I was allready thinking about maybe using the copper head gasket spray because of the cracks maybe I'll give this a shot. seems like it's worked good for a lot of people based on the Amazon reviews.

I used to add a tube of Aluma seal or Silver seal to every radiator on every build, but since COVID, I have not been able to find it. So now I do without.

I've always steered clear of the liquid stop leak because I have heard it can clog important passages.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports

I've tried several 'stop leak' products and they never worked, not even slightly. One looked like really dark maple syrup with dead flies in it. It was only good for plugging the heater. Old wife's tales say a handful of pepper will plug cracks and also a cracked egg into the radiator. The last is desperate but on the road side seems like a great plan. The egg is cooked and the water pump shreds it and a chunk finds it's way and blocks an opening.

I would never put any of that shit in my engine.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Aluma seal or Silver seal

I've used that in the past as well with success but also don't see it anymore, even checked the manufacturer website. Essentially was just fine powdered aluminum. Was a good emergency item for the road toolbox.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

. Old wife's tales say a handful of pepper will plug cracks

I had a radiator in a 620 with a Buick v-8 that sprung a leak. It was a stream shooting out. Dumped some pepper in and it stopped the stream. Made it the 5 miles back home with no overheating, important on an aluminum engine. Great for temporary fix.

23 hours ago, NC85ST said:

I had a radiator in a 620 with a Buick v-8 that sprung a leak. It was a stream shooting out. Dumped some pepper in and it stopped the stream. Made it the 5 miles back home with no overheating, important on an aluminum engine. Great for temporary fix.

I always wondered if that really worked.