1984 720 Nissan Dually

Just found an 84 Nissan dually, I'm new to this,  but I have never seen a 720 dually till now. Does anyone have any information on these. The guy we bought it from stated, "you will never find one like this" 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Engine tag beginning with E.

Usually sold without a box assuming the buyer would put camper or after market utility box on. 

Four speed till '82 and 5 speed after. Never an automatic.

Carries 270Kg more payload than regular truck. Spring constant for the regular truck is 310 pounds per inch, 4wd is 442 and the E code cab/chassis/HD and camper is 649.

Rare? over 2,600 built in '84. That's not a lot.

I owned a flat bed dually in the late 90's. It had a homemade flatbed that a previous owner used to haul snowmobiles. I drove it for a while and then sold it to a friend who let it rot into the ground. Years later that friend had passed away and they were clearing out his shop. I happened to stop by and saw a 720 grille in his pile of stuff. It was to my old dually so I bought it on the spot and I have it on my wall. Id love to find another since I now own a snowmobile I'd like to haul around. 

On another dually note, last year I met a guy who had one. He bought it from a nursery that I knew had it. Well he wrecked it and he was getting kicked out of his rental and had to do something with the truck, kind of crackhead stuff honestly. I ended up buying the hood, fenders, grille and both doors in good shape as spares for my current 86 King Cab.

I will have to dig up pics of my old dually. I owned that at the same time as my 81 KC ST. This was around 1996-1997.

• Like 1

Good Morning 

Yes sir @datzenmike

Engine tag beginning with E. 

YES

Usually sold without a box assuming the buyer would put camper or after market utility box on. 

Steel Flatbed

Four speed till '82 and 5 speed after. Never an automatic.

5 Speed.

Carries 270Kg more payload than regular truck. Spring constant for the regular truck is 310 pounds per inch, 4wd is 442 and the E code cab/chassis/HD and camper is 649.

Thank you for the info sir.

Rare? over 2,600 built in '84. That's not a lot.

Wow, I wish I could share some pictures with you all, see what y'all think. I don't know how to do that on here.

I'd say they are a rare sighting indeed. Think of the lifespan of the average work truck. Ridden hard and put away wet. I'd guess that less than half of the 2600 built that year still exist.

There are two varieties of Nissan dually. And it boils down to the wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong ( @wayno ), but I recall one type of dually having standard single wheel rims up front and an adapter on the rear axle, then there was the true dually that had six of the same wheels all around and a wide six lug bolt pattern. Does that sound right?

Curious, does this dually have a full floating rear axle?

E code for '84 came with E78-14" tires.

Regular 2wd capacity is 500Kg or 1,100 pounds. The E code is 770Kg or 1,700 pounds with dual tires and 700Kg/1,548 pounds with single tires.

Oh BTW the N in the  ENL720 stands for the Z24 engine used. F= Z20 and J= SD25 diesel engine

1 hour ago, sami_i_am said:

I don't know, what would I look for?

But it does have the same size wheels all around and the big wide six lug bolt pattern.

A full floating axle has an axle shaft that runs through the wheel hub and bolts to the hub on the outside. The full float wheel hub usually has an inner and outer bearing and is almost always lubricated with gear oil.

If you break an axle in a full float setup, the wheel stays on the truck.

image.png.ed00cfe3a4c0e9b8e888bf1cc6fd95d5.png

A semi floating axle has a flange forged into the axle end which contains the lug studs. These almost always have a single rear bearing, sometimes fed with gear oil, sometimes lube with grease. If you break an axle shaft with a semi floating setup, your wheel falls off.

image.png.aff4fa3a7a3ac23e2e2f957d72ad1455.png

A full floating axle has an axle shaft that runs through the wheel hub and bolts to the hub on the outside. The full float wheel hub usually has an inner and outer bearing and is almost always lubricated with gear oil.

If you break an axle in a full float setup, the wheel stays on the truck.

Looks like this one sir.

10 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Rare would be a stock radiator for one of these. I always hoped to come across a stock heavy duty radiator. Mike what was the gear ratio on these?

I bought one at Auto Zone when I 1st got my '85 Std. Cab. It's 3 flue, had to do some cobbling to make it fit. It's got trans cooler.

7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I'd say they are a rare sighting indeed. Think of the lifespan of the average work truck. Ridden hard and put away wet. I'd guess that less than half of the 2600 built that year still exist.

There are two varieties of Nissan dually. And it boils down to the wheels. Correct me if I'm wrong ( @wayno ), but I recall one type of dually having standard single wheel rims up front and an adapter on the rear axle, then there was the true dually that had six of the same wheels all around and a wide six lug bolt pattern. Does that sound right?

Curious, does this dually have a full floating rear axle?

The C200 dually axles are full floater axles, if an axle gets broken the wheel/rims stay on as it is connected to the axle housing held on with 6 long nuts and bearings, the wheels are bolted to the brake drums which are held on to the axle with 2 bearings and a huge flat adjustable nut.

To get the rear brake drum off you have to remove the axle and a bearing held on with that huge flat nut.

I personally have never seen a Nissan dually truck with dually rims on the front also, I have seen Toyota trucks with 6 dually rims.

Early Datsun 520/521/620 motorhomes had special adapters, one put the stock inside wheel/rim on using the adapter and long Lugnuts, then the outside wheel bolted on with normal looking Lugnuts on an extended plate, I do not have any photos of the adapters on this computer, I do have 2 sets of them adapters on my shelf, one set for early Datsun trucks(521 motorhome), the other set has the larger Lugnuts that came on late 620 with disc brakes.

Also some of the later 620 motorhomes(maybe early 720 also?) had this weird dual rim setup, both the rims were connected together and could not be separated, I do not know how tires were removed/replaced, I have only seen a couple sets of them ever.

The dually trucks have a much larger 6 lug pattern, the last and only time I bought them lugnuts from Nissan they were $20.00 each.

• Like 2

I knew you'd have more info on that, Wayno. I didn't realize the wheel arrangement was so awkward on the earlier duallys. Stock rims on the inside? Really?

Adapters are fine, except when they are not. I've used them in dozens of builds, and I've seen them fail in hard use. So I am very careful when using them.

I wish I could see a pic of this truck we're talking about. Can anyone help @sami_i_am upload a couple pics?

On 7/19/2024 at 9:14 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I knew you'd have more info on that, Wayno. I didn't realize the wheel arrangement was so awkward on the earlier duallys. Stock rims on the inside? Really?

Adapters are fine, except when they are not. I've used them in dozens of builds, and I've seen them fail in hard use. So I am very careful when using them.

I wish I could see a pic of this truck we're talking about. Can anyone help @sami_i_am upload a couple pics?

Actually one uses 4 stock rims on the rear with them early adapters, here is a photo of the adapter I am talking about.1979 DATSUN Sunrader "will the 6bolt foollies kill me?" - 620 - Ratsun Forums100_0114.JPG.ae0667398ff7e4f56489b2d2996d670b.jfif

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Man, that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

They used them adapters from the 520 motorhomes all the way thru the 1979 620 motorhomes, Toyotas owners also used them as one set I have came from a Toyota 4wd truck(crawler) with huge wheels.

I have a friend with a 521 flatbed that he made out of a 521 motorhome that had them adapters, he put a diesel in it and he drove it for years hauling all sorts of weight, I think how I put real dually wheel rims on my 1980 Datsun 720 diesel truck with a H190 axle is way more dangerous(I had adapters made) but I needed 3.3 gears because my reline for the diesel engine is 4000rpms(best C200 dually axle gear ratio is 4.11), I could not haul weight with them adapters, but it made towing easy, no more frontend wandering as without dually wheels, my frontend wandered badly when towing a truck behind my silver 1982 720 diesel powered non-dually truck

• Like 1