Datsun 521 4X4 Project

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll give that a try. I have a new seal on order for when I can get this to fit. I'm just really disappointed  that it won't fit. I didn't try to force anything, either, so I guess the damage was there when I got it. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

That looks damaged and that could be the sticking point. 
I would clean up that ID with a small file coated in grease to help keep the filings out of the trans. 

Honestly, a manual trans is like a garbage disposal. You could fill it up with gravel and it would just grind it up.

But yeah, work clean!!!

• Like 2

LOL. I hate to get anything inside a trans that doesn't belong there. Same with an engine. Using taps on holes at work, we would use pet jelly to help contain any chips. Works well, but possible to drop some anyway. I will probably crawl under and work on it next couple of days. I just didn't want to force anything in case I was missing something that needed to be removed, or something. Thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

It's aluminum. It's soft and easily ground up by hardened gears and  certainly heavier than oil so will sink to the bottom of the transmission and fall out when changing the oil.

• Like 2

Omg. I was just under checking things out... The splines are too large diameter. I heard there were two sizes, and I have the larger of the two. The trans takes the smaller size. Does anyone know where I can get the smaller one? Or if there is a smaller one with the larger u joints? This is driving me crazy. I don't even know what the name is of that snout end, let alone what to call the spline end/size. If I knew, I could probably order something. Ideally, what would work for this is the smaller snout/ slipnes with the larger u joint on the other end, so it would work with the rest of the shaft, and transfer case bolt pattern. I am dead in the water here. Help! 

Yah, I have found slip yokes that will fit, but the u joint end won't fit the small driveshaft. Tomorrow, I'll be taking the parts to a driveline shop, and see if they have a slide yoke with the smaller splined shaft, and the u-joint end that will fit this shaft.  I found a slip yoke on Z car depot, but it has the wrong u-joint end, and their only option is the smaller u-joint, or 1310 style. Once this front is figured out, I'll still need a rear driveshaft, so I'll hit up the driveshaft shop for that as well, but that will have to be after I mount the transfer case so I can get a descent measurement for them. I have the rear portion of the original rear driveshaft, but I'll need a short splined one to hook up to the transfer case. 

Driveline shop is the way to go. Bring what you have and they might be able to make it work.

Did I already give you the link to the driveshaft parts web site? - https://www.driveshaftparts.com/

https://www.driveshaftparts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=159

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 1

Thanks for the link! The driveshaft guy said that the slip yoke is the same as a Chevy uses, and that the u joints that are in the shaft are 1310's. So...I ordered the slipyoke I saw on Zparts depot, as it has the correct snout, and a 1310 ujoint. That should get me going. This thing has been a pain figuring these parts out. I removed the fuel tank today, as I noticed a small seep when it is full, and found the vent line hose had never been changed, and had pretty much turned to powder. While I have the tank out, it's time for a good cleaning, and a coat of POR 15 on the outside, then new hoses before install. I also got a new tank sender, as the one in it was toast. New one works. One thing about this truck is no lack of things to fix, for sure. I'm leaving the carpet I bought out of it, so I can see if I have any leaks inside the cab from the heater box, or other seals. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Metalguy said:

Thanks for the link! The driveshaft guy said that the slip yoke is the same as a Chevy uses, and that the u joints that are in the shaft are 1310's. So...I ordered the slipyoke I saw on Zparts depot, as it has the correct snout, and a 1310 ujoint. That should get me going. This thing has been a pain figuring these parts out. I removed the fuel tank today, as I noticed a small seep when it is full, and found the vent line hose had never been changed, and had pretty much turned to powder. While I have the tank out, it's time for a good cleaning, and a coat of POR 15 on the outside, then new hoses before install. I also got a new tank sender, as the one in it was toast. New one works. One thing about this truck is no lack of things to fix, for sure. I'm leaving the carpet I bought out of it, so I can see if I have any leaks inside the cab from the heater box, or other seals. 

Good call on the leak detection. Wait until next summer before you install the carpet.

Really? Same as Chevy?

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Really? Same as Chevy?

Going from memory...

The Datsun transmission output is a 1" od 27 spline shaft
The slip yoke od is 1.25" and is the same diameter as a T18 10 spine output. 

All holdovers from early SAE datsuns

• Like 1

I am away from the truck presently, but the slip yoke that fits the transmission has 24 splines and O.D. of 1.375". The one that he said is chevy has more splines, and O.D. is larger. I didn't write that one down, and it wore off the shaft from handling it (I had marked it with a sharpie). I can take pics when I get back, if you want them. I'll count up the splines, too. It has a skip spline in it as well.

• Like 2

Yes. It is actually the end that was behind the nut on the original 4 speed. I had removed it to slip the driveshaft yoke in place, and it didn't fit, so I got a later transmission, only to find the splines on them both are the same, and smaller than the slip yoke on the short driveshaft. My new slip yoke is supposed to be delivered today, and I'll see if the u-joint end will fit the driveshaft.

• Like 2

My new yoke arrived. I got the one that uses 1310 u joints, and it fits. So... Replacing the u joints before finally fitting up the transfer case. While I'm waiting on parts, I've been restoring the fuel tank. I por 15 'd the outside, and am sealing the inside. I used evaporust inside, then neutralized it. I'll line it today, hopefully, and that project will be done. I got a camera rear view mirror too, as I had one in the past and it was great. My mirror was a crumbly mess. 

20240904_121323.jpg

20240904_145414.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone have a good source for a new Speedo cable? I would need one from a 720 4X4 regular cab. My original won't even reach the transmission, let alone the transfer case, LOL. I even tried taking it out of the spring mounts for a little extra room, but just too short to make it. 

I needed a good throttle cable mount, and changed out the old cable, because a prior owner thought shortening the cable this way was a good idea... So I made a new cable bracket from solid. 75"round stock, turned on the lathe, and drilled for the cable end to fit, cut so it could slide in, cut to length, and welded in place. Now it can be adjusted as needed with the nuts on the cable. 

20240913_110844.jpg

20240913_113800.jpg

20240913_122419.jpg

20240913_122425.jpg