How To: Aftermarket Tach Install 1983-1986.5 720 Gauge Cluster

I recently installed an aftermarket tach in the gauge cluster of my 85 since I've never found one in the junkyard and refuse to pay $100 for one off ebay. I ordered a cheap 52 mm tach (like this), which came in a plastic pod housing that I took apart to get the innards. This consisted of a face plate and circuit board connected by long pins that make the assembly too deep to fit in the gauge space, so I trimmed the pins to get some working room (they just press into the face plate connectors).

1LuZVKa24LF3OonRXyT9HqN9fNegNJxjo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the mount, I used a piece of thick plastic from a binder I had laying around and drilled mounting holes using the gauge delete as a template. The tach face had a very slight lip, so I measured the diameter of the gauge housing behind the face and cut a circle out of the plastic with an exacto knife, then used sandpaper to smooth it out to a friction fit. I then put a few dabs of silicone to keep the housing in place and screwed the mount to the cluster.
1VEu1hTq6manSW6s540KRHiQy0Le7sJ30

Posted (edited)

I then made a small wiring harness, for which you'll need a keyed 12v power supply, signal from one of the coils, a power source for the backlight, and a ground. The dial I got is way too bright with full 12v so I tapped into the dash dimmer knob. This required running a separate ground wire for the dial lighting circuit, otherwise it was always at full brightness, so I bent the dial light ground pin (it's labeled on the circuit board) off to the side to attach a separate wire. If you wire it this way, the brightness of the gauge is the inverse of the dash lights, so as the dash gets brighter the tach gets dimmer. This lets you find a nice happy spot where the tach isn't blinding you. You could also use an adjustable voltage regulator.

1ix2wNWUXqI7h1dxYyDZXtqeSzGwXlSOL

Edited by Seven Two Oh No
Added pic

I don't like the red needle and the cheap ass $15 gauge flutters between 2-3k, but it works/looks fine otherwise and freed up some space where my old 4" tach used to sit. I may do it again with a slightly larger 2 1/2 inch gauge with a white needle to make it fill the space better, but this works for now. Your mileage may vary with other tachs, but guessing any of the digital ones will be constructed very similar to one I used.

1g53IxzeiB_QCmcYblQX1iGwe_ltbSJwH

1H_ao8PC8Y1EC3oIEr8o6K03BQAOtt11C

• Like 3
On 5/5/2024 at 9:44 PM, Thomas Perkins said:

Great job.I would of sold you one.I have 2 extra one's.Plus other gauges.

How much are you willing to let one go for? I'm currently in the market for one and there are none of these trucks at my local salvage yards 🙂

If you guys ever get on FB on the Nissan 720 pages there is a guy GD Humfries  that does a lot of electronic work on these trucks and rebuilds clusters . Good guy to work with

• Like 1

Nissan 720 Tacometers were 308.67 when Nissan had them in stock.Hard to find cause no one wants to part out the cluster.To get one you will have to buy the cluster.I also have a temperature gauge,and a fuel gauge.Also a Cluster frame.Also a Nissan blower motor.Dont care if I sell these or not.That is why I don't go to the for sale site here and post them.I did put a clock in mine.

Edited by Thomas Perkins