Front Clip

Baja 720's in the magazines have fiberglass front clips (front fenders/hood) that remove as one piece, for easy mechanical access. Is there a common/universal method of attaching these clips to the body, so they are  quick and easy to remove yet secure and stable during operation? 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I would imagine they hinge at the front and tilt open??? Having to lift it off every time you check the rad would be a pain.

22 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Usually held on essentially by hood pins and/or quick turn fasteners welded to the cage

I bought some aftermarket replacement fenders for my 720. I picked the pair cheap and they seem to be thinner gauge than OEM. I was brainstorming methods of attaching them where they could be easily removable and thought of removable front clips. Thinking a removable front clip that leaves the hood. Besides the complete removable front clips, all methods of fender removal are time consuming with a high chance of scraping or dinging paint. A full front tilt would work if someone has accomplished that trick on a 720 and worked out the kinks. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

How often do you expect to remove your front fenders? Only time the hood comes off is to pull an engine.

I had a rig with a tilt front end, a long time ago and enjoyed the ease of access to the engine. The thinner gauge fenders brought a small concern of leaning on them to adjust or fix something in the bay and I thought of fender removal and/or a tilt front end on a 720. Before I venture too far down one of these rabbit holes, I like to give a shout out and see if others have blazed this trial (or find their rationales for why it is not a productive line to follow) 

One of my buddy's knows a guy who used to convert Ford's to tilt hoods. If you could get the hood and fenders to become one unit then add in hinges in the front the next problem would be getting everything to clear in the front and where the fenders meet the cab. It would definitely be interesting to see though. A tilt hood would give you the ability to access the side of the engine more and would definitely confuse people when you check your oil/coolant/etc