New to the forum

11 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

A10 windshields are a glue in like modern cars ..

and that’s probably why it’s so hard to find a used one. 

I bought one out of Oregon as a replacement for a wagon I bought a few years ago .. was 2 hour drive one way to get ,, took a few hours to carefully remove ,, was propped up against some tires in backyard. 

Wife hit it with walk behind weed-wacker  and destroyed it. 

I wonder if there is another car out there that has a windshield with the same curvature but a bit bigger, then I could possibly have it cut down to size. For now I'll try the resin repair route, I'm not overly optimistic though as the crack extends from the bottom of the windshield to about 2 inches from the top.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rustbuster78 said:

I wonder if there is another car out there that has a windshield with the same curvature but a bit bigger, then I could possibly have it cut down to size. For now I'll try the resin repair route, I'm not overly optimistic though as the crack extends from the bottom of the windshield to about 2 inches from the top.

im almost positive the hatchback windshield is different than the wagon and sedan style cars , but other than that I don’t know. 

there’s a few videos on YouTube , that the windshield crack repair you can buy at auto parts store , have like a suction cup stand thing.. Then the guy lubed the sides where suction cups are/sit  ( away from crack) and then crack repair is centered over crack .. Then they slowly slide down crack .. I don’t know if that would actually work but maybe. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Ratsun, you won't regret it? If nobody has given this advice find a local glass shop. There are so many windshields and what not out there these guys should help you out? My local shop Helped me with a old Pontiac. Might be worth a shot? 

• Like 2
On 4/25/2024 at 11:27 AM, Rustbuster78 said:

Would you know of any salvage yards in your area that might have any old Datsuns that I could contact? So far I haven't had any luck locating a windshield other than a $1500 NOS windshield from overseas and a $750 used one with scratches or a brand new custom made one for $3000.

Nope, I'm a junkyard rat around here, rare to see A10's!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ratpatrol66 said:

Welcome to Ratsun, you won't regret it? If nobody has given this advice find a local glass shop. There are so many windshields and what not out there these guys should help you out? My local shop Helped me with a old Pontiac. Might be worth a shot? 

I Talked to the one auto glass shop in the area and no luck so far. I'll see what I can find in surrounding cities.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, yenpit said:

They seem to be rare everywhere! Most likely got scrapped. All the more reason to try and keep her alive! For now I'll try getting it repaired at the local auto glass place, eventually I might have to bite the bullet and fork out some major cash to get a windshield. I'll keep searching for any A10's that pop up. If I could find one that's totally rotted out but has a good windshield I'd just buy the whole car and remove all the good usable parts off of it. With it having the glued in style windshield it'll be a bit nerve racking to remove. Sadly there aren't many junkyards with old cars around here. I do live near the notorious Avery's salvage yard, I went with my dad to drop off my mom's old camry years ago. I haven't been there since.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, yenpit said:

I do have a lead on a windshield in Idaho now though! I just need to figure out how I'm going to get it. Shipping it is scary but that's a 27 hour drive for me.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Rustbuster78 said:

I do have a lead on a windshield in Idaho now though! I just need to figure out how I'm going to get it. Shipping it is scary but that's a 27 hour drive for me.

Is it an NOS or USED??  Be careful with USED, as most old are "peppered" from road driving!!!  Find a way to get it to Denver, ie "courier" etc.  I may not be going to Road America in July or September, but my old work will be going, could haul in trailer!  You figure out any logistics to Denver, I will handle the rest!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, yenpit said:

Is it an NOS or USED??  Be careful with USED, as most old are "peppered" from road driving!!!  Find a way to get it to Denver, ie "courier" etc.  I may not be going to Road America in July or September, but my old work will be going, could haul in trailer!  You figure out any logistics to Denver, I will handle the rest!

It's used in a salvage yard, I have to contact them on monday to get the details on condition, once I find out if it's worth buying I'll figure out a courier service. I appreciate your willingness to help! I love these rare black sheep cars if you will, but boy do they cause a headache when trying to find certain parts. At least when it comes to the engine parts are pretty easy to find. Steering components and most of the drive train components are still pretty easy to find as well.

• Like 2
On 4/28/2024 at 1:56 AM, Rustbuster78 said:

It's used in a salvage yard, I have to contact them on monday to get the details on condition, once I find out if it's worth buying I'll figure out a courier service. I appreciate your willingness to help! I love these rare black sheep cars if you will, but boy do they cause a headache when trying to find certain parts. At least when it comes to the engine parts are pretty easy to find. Steering components and most of the drive train components are still pretty easy to find as well.

FYI I talked to my race buddy today & we may NOT be going to RA in July!!  Phooey 😭🥺

• Sad 1
On 4/26/2024 at 11:12 PM, Rustbuster78 said:

i think i looked at that online when you first asked ,, figured it was way to far from your location you posted so i never mentioned. 

If it might motivate you to do the drive ,,,,  i drove my neighbor from Olympia WA, to Penn Valley Cali ,, then farther south to San Jose Cali , just so he could LOOK at how a 59 Datsun 1000 was put together ( googles says 13.5 hours one way without Penn Valley detour )  .. Crazy part was , other than having to ditch 510keepers party early ,, we were happy about, going all that way .  haha 

Same guy had driven his 520 pickup all the way from Olympia WA to half way down Baja  Mexico in search of a J16 a few years ago.. 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, bananahamuck said:

i think i looked at that online when you first asked ,, figured it was way to far from your location you posted so i never mentioned. 

If it might motivate you to do the drive ,,,,  i drove my neighbor from Olympia WA, to Penn Valley Cali ,, then farther south to San Jose Cali , just so he could LOOK at how a 59 Datsun 1000 was put together ( googles says 13.5 hours one way without Penn Valley detour )  .. Crazy part was , other than having to ditch 510keepers party early ,, we were happy about, going all that way .  haha 

Same guy had driven his 520 pickup all the way from Olympia WA to half way down Baja  Mexico in search of a J16 a few years ago.. 

I'd think about doing the drive if I didn't have plans for this summer which I will need to use all my vacation time for. I haven't had much luck with communication the salvage yard the windshield is at. She said she'd call back but didn't so I called her back and she said oh sorry I meant to get to that, I think the windshield is stored in our train car in back. I have the note on my desk, so I'll get back to you asap. And now a few days have gone by again. So I guess I'll just wait now.

Edited by Rustbuster78
mistake
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Rustbuster78 said:

I'd think about doing the drive if I didn't have plans for this summer which I will need to use all my vacation time for. I haven't had much luck with communication the salvage yard the windshield is at. She said she'd call back but didn't so I called her back and she said oh sorry I meant to get to that, I think the windshield is stored in our train car in back. I have the note on my desk, so I'll get back to you asap. And now a few days have gone by again. So I guess I'll just wait now.

It's all good ,  Just tryin to give you the,  animal house Bluto pep talk.. 

animal-house-lets-do-it.gif

• Like 2