Manual transmission gear oil

thedat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

I use Sta-lube, it is the easiest to find. 

I wasn't able to find it when I was doing the change on my truck so I ended up using a valvoline 80w-90 hybrid that seems to be holding up okay. 

I second sta-lube 85-90. Cheapest non full synthetic I could find. I had a bad/expensive oil seal leak come up immediately after an engine oil change on a 90s car. Will never use full synthetic anything on older vehicles again.

Edited by IZRL
1 hour ago, ViciousV15 said:

I wasn't able to find it when I was doing the change on my truck so I ended up using a valvoline 80w-90 hybrid that seems to be holding up okay. 

Finding any local is a pain. I order from amazon and keep a couple jugs in stock.

I find the synthetic shifts smoother when cold. With the same effort used with regular gear oil, the synthetic shifts faster. Where down shifting was an effort and often caused a small gear clash, the synthetic was without a problem.

I think all base synthetic transmission oil is made by the same manufacturer and different color and additive packages are added by different brands.

• Like 1