4.3's for an 84 720 4x4

Hello Ratsun,

I've done a bit of research and wanted to check my findings with the group (and inquire of missed options)

First, my information is predicated on an 1984 (June build month) Nissan/Datsun 720 4X4 KC which, as I understand, is equipped with the R180 front differential and the C200  rear differential.

Aside from swapping complete differentials with an 81-82 720 4x4 (because I have found them rare around here) It seems the next "easiest" option is to swap both complete differentials with a Nissan Frontier. The PIA features of this option are relocation of the spring plates and the axles are wider (by 5/8-3/4 a side) The benefit of this option is the stronger C200 front and HB233 rear
I found other options for swapping that had pros and cons, but all were more work than I want to spend. I have 4:11's so not much more bang, but there are some locally cheap and I am considering it. Unless there is a problem or aspect that I have missed.

Thank you

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

The R200 front is stubbier I think so the Transfer to front differential drive shaft will need to be longer? 

Thank you Datzenmike, because I like to beat those quiet, still, horses... if a longer driveshaft is included the statement " next "easiest" option is to swap both complete differentials with a Nissan Frontier. The PIA features of this option are relocation of the spring plates and the axles are wider (by 5/8-3/4 a side) The benefit of this option is the stronger C200 front and HB233 rear covers the pros and cons--Yes, no, or maybe?

Will different u-joints be needed on one side to connect to the divorced transfer case and on the otherside to connect to the  R200?

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The R200 front is stubbier I think so the Transfer to front differential drive shaft will need to be longer? 

Are there any differences between the R200 H338B combo in 4wd Pathfinders as opposed to 4wd Frontiers? In other words, are additional steps needed besides:

1. Relocate spring perches 

2. Understand additional width

3. Length change on front driveshaft

4. (pending) ujoints?

To employ late model 4.3:1 Pathfinder differentials, front R200 rear H33B in a 1984 (June build date) Nissan/Datsun 720KC 4x4?

My 'shit' only covers up to Xterra and Pathfinder. I had an earlier Pathfinder axle and they were coil spring and link suspension, Hardbody were leaf spring... better check. I had the torch a lot of metal off.

The Pathfinder H 233 differential had what looked like a larger U joint. I wouldn't doubt it, the H233 is larger than a Ford 9".

LSD was also available back then and rear disc brakes

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

My 'shit' only covers up to Xterra and Pathfinder. I had an earlier Pathfinder axle and they were coil spring and link suspension, Hardbody were leaf spring... better check. I had the torch a lot of metal off.

The Pathfinder H 233 differential had what looked like a larger U joint. I wouldn't doubt it, the H233 is larger than a Ford 9".

LSD was also available back then and rear disc brakes

The idea of differential swapping came about because I was planning a trip to the local salvage yard and was thinking of items I might want to keep an eye out for while there. But I have 4:11's and doubt if the juice will be worth the squeeze, even if running 32 inch tires.

The 4x4 has the C 200 rear differential. This is NOT the H where you can unbolt the unit and remove. The C has to be done on the vehicle and the gear lash set there with shims and dial gauges.

2 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

I have the 4.37s with kae and 31s. It's OK. I plan an Axle swap with 33s but going to 4.88s 

How's your mpg? There was someone running 31's with a 3.90 KA24E reported 30 mpg, but they admitted it was slow. I was thinking 4.11s would compromise between dog slow and mpg. I would really like around 30 mpg... It became an option because of the crazy number of late model Pathfinders that popped up at the Pick and Pull

11 hours ago, Madkaw said:

Not sure you know but the r200 is a wider diff and will require different CV axles

Thank you, I am not sold on swapping axles just yet, but if I do swap i will be taking them whole from a donor

22 hours ago, bottomwatcher said:

Your lifting it and running big tires. You get big tires or good gas milage you don't get both. 18 mpg seems to be my average.

A guy can dream. I can't remember who, but I am sure someone was claiming close to 30mpg with bigger tires and a KA24E in a 720