85 Nissan 720 4x4 Distributor top O ring.

HI ya'll. I noticed for a long time.When I remove my distributor cap.On top of the distibutor,there is a rubber o ring that the distibutor cap sits on and seals when you tighten the two little screw to hold it on.My o ring is dry rotted and part of it is gone.I looked on the Nissan site and it does not show a replacement o ring.Has anyone ever replaced it and where did you get it.Moisture and water can get in  there.Moisture is getting in there when it rains and effects the idling.Causes it to idle low and uneven.There is a groove around it where the o ring sits in.I guess it is made into it and they sell no replacement.I seen some like mine that also is in bad shape.I seen some remanufacured ones but they didn't put a new o ring on it.You can't remove the old o ring without it breaking apart Like it was glued to it.The fan blade will  blow moisture into it while it is raining.It has been raining lately.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You reminded me that I need one as well. Measuring the cap diameter I'd say a 4in outer diameter o-ring off of amazon might work, sound right? Maybe 1/8in width? They also have gaskets from what I'm seeing. I'm going to browse a bit and see what might be best.

Edited by Foxhound
6 hours ago, Foxhound said:

You reminded me that I need one as well. Measuring the cap diameter I'd say a 4in outer diameter o-ring off of amazon might work, sound right? Maybe 1/8in width? They also have gaskets from what I'm seeing. I'm going to browse a bit and see what might be best

Let me know if you find one and where.I am going to remove the cap and check it out today.

10 minutes ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Let me know if you find one and where.I am going to remove the cap and check it out today.

I replaced my distributor cap not too long ago. I can't say if I saw one there or not. I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Well it's already "tomorrow" 😆. Ok I'll look when the sun comes up.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, IZRL said:

I replaced my distributor cap not too long ago. I can't say if I saw one there or not. I'll have to take a look tomorrow. Well it's already "tomorrow" 😆. Ok I'll look when the sun comes up.I just looked on Amazon,they have them for over 7 bucks for 10 of them,4 inch out side diameter and a 1/8 inch thick.With shipping and taxes it is a little over 14 bucks.i have a Amazon gift card for 25 bucks at home.I will order them after work.Want me to send you one or 2.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Thomas, got a part number? I can't find it on any of my stuff. On my L20B in my truck I would use a Nitrile rubber glove. Prick holes in the finger tips and run the 5 wires through and into the cap then roll the glove down over the distributor like a condom to seal out water splashes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)

Hi Ya'll.I got my Distributor cap off.As you see the O ring gasket is missing on the side by the fan.I will get a 10 pack from Amazon.You can see on the inside of the distributor where it has been up against part of what is left of the o ring gasket.

17098439277191790783090442433513.jpg

17098440942075433941832366433479.jpg

17098445950466502163377864738679.jpg

1709844436417591414917322194305.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
Posted (edited)

Here is what is left of the old o ring gasket.Flat on one side,and uneven on the other side so it can go into the Groove and be flat as it sticks out.I just measured the gasket.It is 4 inches by 1/8 Inch wide.Time to order them.

17098452163805013555200447814591.jpg

17098452580147509186656156926190.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Vacuum grease can be used to replace the O-ring for a water tight seal.  Bear tallow has become hard to get in a tube.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I just ordered the rubber Nitrile gaskets.Getting 10 for 15.19.,I used a Amazon card I  got for Christmas.7.07 for gaskets,6.99 for shipping and 1.13 for shipping.Will be here Sunday.Order Summary

Items:

$7.07

Shipping & Handling:

$6.99

Total Before Tax:

$14.06

Estimated Tax Collected:

$1.13

Gift Certificate/Card:

-$15.19

Order Total

Edited by Thomas Perkins
Posted (edited)

Hi Foxhound.The gasket that you see in the picture that I took off is not the same on both sides.The outside that the cap touche's is flat and the other side is off set so it can go into the groove and lay flat on the other side of the groove..So with the one you showed will go into the Groove and will not be level when the cap is screwed on.The round one I ordered will go into the Groove and stick up on the outer side and be un level also.If it didn't have that Groove then the square one will be perfect.I could fill the Groove in with black gasket sealant and use the square o ring that you posted.I will see if the one I will get tomorrow will work.It was free.Look at the picture and see.Yours may work.But the gasket that was on it was different on both sides.I will have to wait when it rains to see if it is sealing.I may buy the ones you posted,if mine don't work.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
Posted (edited)

Sounds good Butter finger.I could apply it and level it  with a flat head screw driver a little higher than the groove so it will be the same height as the original one.Being too high may effect the cap from connecting to the rotor metal.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
Posted (edited)

My gaskets are here,fast shipping,came from Alabama.Let me see if they will work.If not,they will go in the not working pile.I got it on there.Seals great,took it for a test drive.I also got the black ring off the inside of the rotor that was cause by the cap.Time will tell.It also idles perfect,Rpm needle is steady at idle.Guess air was blowing in the distributor from the fan.The flat ones Foxhound suggested probably will also work.The oem ones are 1/16 inch thick.

20240309_154328.jpg

17100201476774244692754618129401.jpg

20240309_163824.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2