L20B Timing Cover Oil Leak

I'm getting a small oil leak along the top of the timing cover, where it meets the head, on both sides. I changed the inspection cover gasket in hopes that it was the source of the oil, but no such luck. See pictures below. So, now I'm looking at re-sealing the timing cover, which I'm kicking myself for not doing before the engine was installed. Is it possible to to do this successfully, without removing the oil pan and head? I've read some posts about not using RTV where the head meets the timing cover. Is this a bad idea even with high-temp RTV? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0614.thumb.jpg.ad99a4e5e87ffc0716d8f4d844ea4a6d.jpg

IMG_0615.thumb.jpg.e2a443892f6e3096a81142eaae14127b.jpg

IMG_0617.thumb.jpg.b4199e9bc96fbaa83f876f34dca93b7d.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Loosen the left front most head bolt and tighten to 60 ft lbs. Then do the matching one on the right. They should all be at 60 ft lbs. Then check the two 10mm bolts that tighten the head to the timing cover are snug.

image.jpeg.3f5eadb82fb73b7aa831a26f3783e70e.jpeg

It's not the timing chain cover gasket that's leaking. It's the head gasket that's between the head and the top of the timing cover. Checking the bolt tightness may fix this. 

• Thanks 1