Safe RPM

Socalman

My confusion is I didn’t have to really force anything in, meaning I didn’t have to force anything in. If the trans was to be sitting level and not to the right, I would have to probably force it to be level?? If that makes sense? The engine looks level, but it would somehow need to be rotated left for everything else to be lined up on the rear end of the trans. Aside from my OCD with the shifter, everything seems to work and shift properly. 

IMG_3405.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The bottom of the oil pan should be level across right to left and a 5ish degree tilt running front to back.

My mounts use 4 holes on the block. It drops under the oil filter. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1f33bf83311aaef0fe54b6c8b38d397a.jpeg

25 minutes ago, ]2eDeYe said:

The bottom of the oil pan should be level across right to left and a 5ish degree tilt running front to back.

My mounts use 4 holes on the block. It drops under the oil filter. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1f33bf83311aaef0fe54b6c8b38d397a.jpegWait, you make mounts for the Z24? I thought you said you didn’t? That’s why I only bought the trans mount…

3 hours ago, Socalman said:

It’s pretty tight in there but I’ll add some pictures of it before I cleaned it up….

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3403.jpeg

This is a pre 1980 71B 71B and only used on z, zx, 810 and 620 L series engines. The front case is from a Z series engine so that is correct for a KA as far as engine orientation or rotation.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

This is a pre 1980 71B 71B and only used on z, zx, 810 and 620 L series engines. The front case is from a Z series engine so that is correct for a KA as far as engine orientation or rotation.

So it’s in there the way it should be? Just a little odd in a 521?

OK 521 and 510 engine brackets are the same.

The 521 rubber isolators are the same part for both sides but the 510 uses a right and left and neither are the same part number as the 521.

Which rubbers are you using?

If the 510 rubbers are thin on one side and thicker on the other then using 521 rubbers is going to rotate the engine slightly for sure.

Get the KA engine brackets that ]2eDeYe makes and compare them.

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

OK 521 and 510 engine brackets are the same.

The 521 rubber isolators are the same part for both sides but the 510 uses a right and left and neither are the same part number as the 521.

Which rubbers are you using?

If the 510 rubbers are thin on one side and thicker on the other then using 521 rubbers is going to rotate the engine slightly for sure.

Get the KA engine brackets that ]2eDeYe makes and compare them.

I’ll try the 521 rubbers, I am using the ones I got with the engine which I assume were the 510s but they were identical left and right. Will the KA brackets work for the Z24?

I am going to say those fabbed engine mounts are whack. 

In this picture you can see the engine is at an angle compared to the square engine bay. 
This is before the trans mount is even installed.

IMG_3315.jpeg

Just for more info. The 521 engine mounts are 1-5/8" ish tall and the 620 are 2" tall. 
I believe the 510 are the same height as the 521 mounts but not as beefy. 

1 hour ago, ]2eDeYe said:

In this picture you can see the engine is at an angle compared to the square engine bay. 

IMG_3315.jpeg

Just for more info. The 521 engine mounts are 1-5/8" ish tall and the 620 are 2" tall. 

I think that’s probably it at this point. But I’ll fiddle with the mounts for a bit later today. Probably just live with it until someone makes better mounts for sale. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

So I had one of each in, what I assume are 510 and a 521 or at least what I previously had as a 521. I tried both 510s and pan hit crossmember. So I tried both 521 but I couldn’t get one side to from enough to get holes lined up… I had to take some material off the left side mount bracket to get clearance as well as flip the mount. Looks and clears way better but now transmission tail doesn’t line up with mount. Just one hole

IMG_3415.jpeg

Edited by Socalman
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, ]2eDeYe said:

IMG_3315.jpeg

L series engine tilt is 120 to the right side.

Z and KA are tilted about 80 to the left of vertical.

Appears to me, tilt is not the issue. It’s centerline. Am going to say because of engine brackets…but I am no expert on this…

• Like 1

I don’t know what these measurements are supposed to be but it’s definitely not centered between frame rails….1.5” difference 

IMG_3424.jpeg

IMG_3425.jpeg

• Like 3