Safe RPM

Socalman

I have Mikunis

I bolted them on and seem to run fine on my 510 weither stock or with cam and ported it seemed the same.

I hear weber dont have a good transition circut. more ON/OFF but I dont really know these carbs. I have a baseline setting and stay close to that.

webers use a weird numbering system thats not incremantal sometimes for settings.a weber guy would know this better.

only proplem I have is my jet block would work its way out and motor not run right so I gotto have screw driver in the glove box!!!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

I have Mikunis

I bolted them on and seem to run fine on my 510 weither stock or with cam and ported it seemed the same.

I hear weber dont have a good transition circut. more ON/OFF but I dont really know these carbs. I have a baseline setting and stay close to that.

webers use a weird numbering system thats not incremantal sometimes for settings.a weber guy would know this better.

only proplem I have is my jet block would work its way out and motor not run right so I gotto have screw driver in the glove box!!!!!

I mean, it runs fine, idles and starts fine, but I think it should be way better.

16 hours ago, Socalman said:

I mean, it runs fine, idles and starts fine, but I think it should be way better.

Tuning. Not just adjusting the idle air mixture, but actual jet changes, spark plugs, distributor re-curve. ANd then, it still won't be great unless you have some porting, a larger cam, a good exhaust.

Bolting side drafts onto a stock motor will give you sound, and that's about it.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Might be worth investing in a wide band 02 sensor. This takes the guesswork out of jetting. Full throttle high 12s low 13s, idle 14.7 Cruise on the highway mid /low14s  

I always wanted one of those, they are pricey though.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 10:20 AM, datzenmike said:

Might be worth investing in a wide band 02 sensor. This takes the guesswork out of jetting. Full throttle high 12s low 13s, idle 14.7 Cruise on the highway mid /low14s  

This is where I am at idle…the other numbers listed are under load or can I just rev it up and check numbers? 

IMG_2999.jpeg

The issue I don’t like is, while cruising if I floor it, it doesn’t pull, I have to throttle up gradually to increase speed. Would that be main jet? 

13 is way to rich for idle. Perfect is 14.7 but you can go a little leaner. Full throttle under load should be 13. Part throttle anywhere in between. Cruise on the highway mid to low 14s.

If idle at 13 then your plugs will be black. What does it read under full throttle on the highway???

Just revving it up does not put enough load on the engine.  

1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

13 is way to rich for idle. Perfect is 14.7 but you can go a little leaner. Full throttle under load should be 13. Part throttle anywhere in between. Cruise on the highway mid to low 14s.

If idle at 13 then your plugs will be black. What does it read under full throttle on the highway???

Just revving it up does not put enough load on the engine.  

I’ll need to take it out. Stand by. 

42 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

You have side drafts? or Weber downdraft? I know nothing about them.

Weber side drafts. I did 1/2 size and brought it to 14.1 idle. Cruising highway it’s around 12. So I’m guessing main jets need to be leaner as well? 

They are. I have R-1s. Drilled them out and it was WAYYYY too rich. 9.6 which is as low as the gauge would read. For all I know could have been in the 8s. Black smoke out the back. Bought a bunch of cheap tuning jets off Amazon and drilled them out. Eventually settled on #40s I think.