1977 620 L20B no spark condition on fuel injection conversion

maximus35

with the point distributor you get no spark from the center coil wire placed near fround??

the point dist is the ezist way to ck. its a mechanical switch. GO /NO GO.  on/off.

I think this will ck if the diributor works.  mount the dis on the motor. bolt it n. since bolted in its grounded.. use a test light put the alligator clip on the tab on the dist(remove the wire that went to it). the other side of test light to the plus side battery.Crank motor  if test flight flashes the dist works!!!!!!!!!  In real life when the points close the power goes thru the points then out the tab and when key on thru the minus side of the coil to the plus side of the coil thru the ignition swithc thru fuse box and to the battery completeing the circut. when points open the electric field in coil collapses thru the 2nd winding out thru the center of dist to the correct spark plug

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got lost with all the updates and things tried. How about an up date?

Has anyone taken the cap off to see if the rotor turns when trying to start? something basic to build on.

With the key on has anyone briefly grounded the coil negative and released to get a provable spark??

Still have the HEI?

What distributor?

• Like 1

Hello, I just wanted to give everyone an update, I went through a series of testing that you guys recommended and finally got it to spark!  I really appreciate all of the advice that was given here, when I first commented I did not know much about the wiring or ignition of these trucks, I know feel more confident based on what I have learned from everyone's expertise! Here is a video of it running now, this is the first 30 seconds its ever ran so it will need more tuning but I am happy with the results so far. It only has an open manifold so that is why it sounds different. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so after installing the points and verifying that my coil was working correctly, I also examined my points, we had tried cranking the night before with no success but I checked the points again during the day and they were not opening so I adjusted them. Also the main issue was that the condenser wire was not hooked up, I guess in my haste that night I forgot to but after that we had spark but it was way off on timing. I took the timing cover off just to be extra sure all of our timing was correct and the links were correct, re installed everything and installed the distributor at TDC, then it ran well for the first time. I still have to install the radiator and bleed the brakes and clutch but we are close to driving for sure! 

• Like 2