who here knows subarus?

http://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/937473134.html thinking about getting this now instead of the Xb. I need to sell the ranger and need something else i can drive so i can tear down the 620. i would like to clean it up and trade it in when the cube comes out in sep. 09. what do you all think? or are these worth fixing up for a track car?
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've been driving Subarus for 15 years. Good, reliable cars, only problem is they tend to leak oil after 85,000 miles, and because of the placment of exhaust pipes it smokes. You can safely ignore it though (just check oil occasionally).

The Legacy which started c. 1990 was Subarus first world-class car IMO, a magnitude better than previous Subarus. Previous cars were good and reliable, but not necessarily as good as other brands -- except for 4wd/all wheel drive. The Legacy drives and rides very nicely, if it is AWD (and is in good condition), get it, you'll love it. If it is FWD, I dunno, I guess at that price it might might a good runner but like other FWD cars.

And it's all in the family: Fuji built over 100,000 Nissans in their Subaru factories...

Edited by ggzilla

Those make great drivers. They go anywhere and are among my favorite cars to work on. They are well designed and reliable. You can replace an axle in about 20 minutes and a clutch in about 1.5 hours. Like ggzilla said, they have a tendency to leak oil, and the engines seem to make "mystery" noises but the only one I ever saw come apart was left in gear and towed behind an RV. In college my buddy had a Bronco II that we used to take up into the Blue Mountains. He traded it for a FWD twin to the car you are looking at. The stock Subaru would go anywhere the Bronco would--and it never broke.

I can't really speak for the older subaru's, but a friend of mine got an early 90s Legacy, and it's got over 200k miles on it now, still running like a champion, I dont think it's ever had and major repair work or been broke down either, except the time his grandma flipped it, and it was in the body shop.

As for new ones, I dont know about the longevity, but they seem pretty reliable, and run like a bat out of hell! My girlfriend has an 05 WRX, has put 30k miles on it in the 2 years she's owned it, no problems... My Dad recently purchased an 05 Legacy 2.5GT, auto, 250hp, it's very impressive! I'm planning on getting rid of my 04 GTO to get a Legacy GT stick in the next year or so.