Z22 Metal Head Gasket

skyy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just use a Z22 or Z24 gasket and trim the front around the timing chain off and graft an L series front on. It's not critical as it only has to contain oil splash and fumes. Compare the two gaskets and add any holes needed. They are not exactly the same for water passages. L heads tend to flow more water on the intake/exhaust side to draw away the heat. The Z series are cross flow, so heat from exhaust ports don't matter as the intakes are on the other side.

If needing something to contain a turbo have the block O ringed.

But these are conventional cardboard type ones. I'd like an MLR one. But haven't been successful fining one yet😏

*edit*

I read somewhere about a "expensive Nissan Motorsports 88mm big bore L-series gasket" Do they exist? Or is it a long discounted unicorn?

They (Fel-Pro) are not cardboard but they are composite gaskets and more than capable of doing their job. What is an MLR gasket?

Victor Reinz and Fel-Pro both make a MLS gasket. Multi layer steel.

image.jpeg.2e8ba7c52ef676286ecb8115f27a0371.jpeg

These are a bit over kill for less than a turbo application. Is that what you plan to run? If so O ring the block to be sure.

An LZ22 compression is only 9.84

2 hours ago, skyy said:

But these are conventional cardboard type ones. I'd like an MLR one. But haven't been successful fining one yet😏

*edit*

I read somewhere about a "expensive Nissan Motorsports 88mm big bore L-series gasket" Do they exist? Or is it a long discounted unicorn?

The MLS type head gasket you are hoping for does not exist... I explored this a few years back building my motor... i though Cometics could make a custom one but can't find that anymore...

My L is around 10.5to1 compression and I'm using a regular head gasket from Victor renez no issues....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, datzenmike said:

They (Fel-Pro) are not cardboard but they are composite gaskets and more than capable of doing their job. What is an MLR gasket?

Victor Reinz and Fel-Pro both make a MLS gasket. Multi layer steel.

image.jpeg.2e8ba7c52ef676286ecb8115f27a0371.jpeg

These are a bit over kill for less than a turbo application. Is that what you plan to run? If so O ring the block to be sure.

An LZ22 compression is only 9.84

Yes MLS 😅 had somehow the Mitsubishi Lancer Register in mind..

Kameari seems to have some if I got it right.. 😎