My 1985 720 4WD project

ttyR2

I noticed years ago when assembling a steel Allan bolt into an aluminum casting that what you torqued on wrist tight a few weeks ago needed both hands to break free now. And it would let go with a loud snap!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, ttyR2 said:

Found the tensioner with the retainer. Uh...$120 list.

If you’re replacing the timing chain, I don’t see a need for this, unless you’re expecting to pull the head again in the future. Which you probably will if you keep this truck very long.

Posted (edited)

Parts have been ordered, decided to go all in (almost...I'm assuming the bottom end is ok). Will give the valves a quick lap job and make sure they look ok, new valve seals, new rocker shaft pedestal bolts and I think I'm going to repair all 10 holes. If three are stripped out, who knows how many others were over-stressed. New head bolts, new Cloyes timing chain set, new water pump/fan clutch, new plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor. Once it's back together and running reasonably well (the carb is an unknown quantity), a Weber 32/36 is in the plans. Most of the emissions gear has been butchered (EGR stuff has been cut off and crimped, multiple hoses capped or missing), so will clean all of that up. I'll have the local radiator shop clean and test the radiator as well.

Edited by ttyR2

The rocker pedestal bolts are not known for stripping. More likely someone had it apart and over torqued the bolts. It's aluminum and only need 11-18 ft. lbs.

In addition they should all be tightened in stages and not all at once.

In replacing the timing chain, I'll obviously be resealing the front cover. Do I have to completely remove the front differential to do the oil pan, or can I leave it attached to driveshafts and just lower it down a ways on a jack?

As far as replacing the timing chain, you don’t have to remove the oil pan, unless you tear up the gasket where the timing cover goes. Even then, I’m not sure I would drop the pan, unless the pan gasket is leaking. I would try cutting the timing cover section off of a new pan gasket and use a small amount of black rtv and reassemble it.

Worth a try.

I'm wanting to use an ELC coolant instead of "classic" Prestone (or equivalent) green antifreeze. My '97 4Runner uses Toyota red ELC. Any reason why that shouldn't be fine in this Z24 engine? Shell has their Rotella ELC as well. I had zero cooling/water pump problems at 300k miles on the 4Runner when I had the water pump replaced along with the timing belt and other front-of-engine parts...hence why I trust ELC.

With more reading, maybe the Shell Rotella ELC isn't a good idea....designed for large diesel equipment. The Toyota ELC is designed for automotive gas engines though.

Edited by ttyR2

Their website says ...

Compatibility with Other Coolants

Miscible and compatible with other extended life antifreeze coolant

Whats the difference as far as antifreeze between diesel and gas? Nothing it prevents coolant from freezing and lasts a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Temperatures are back up, so got some projecting done out in the shop.

One nice addition to the tool set is a Makita cordless 3/8" ratchet. Makes for fast disassembly.

Found all sorts of fun related to the cylinder head.

Cracked locating groove at the front of the head.

cam_bearing-damage_3.jpg

One of the cam bearings:

cam_bearing-damage_1.jpg

Another cam bearing:

cam_bearing-damage_2.jpg

The rest look ok. These were in the area of the three stripped bolts.

What's the best way to locate the head gasket and cylinder on the block? Why yes! A cut-down socket! No joke. It was really in there.

cylinder_locating_sleeve.jpg

I finished pulling the front cover off, all the timing gear, and cleaned the gasket surfaces. I'm going to check locally and see if I can scrounge up a good used head. The front pulley and the oil slinger inside of the front cover were both bent. Whoever worked on this poor engine before was a real hack.

Edited by ttyR2

image.jpeg.a637c12063763115d727848c2961d592.jpeg

This is from not lifting the can straight upwards when removing. With the stripped bolts this is more than enough proof that an ignorant hack was at it.

image.jpeg.6439d46c3ffbf44be1299f2ee8dd6505.jpeg

It only has to work. I think I cut one out of 1/2" copper water pipe once.

image.jpeg.7d3aa9968fb656b4fca1a371359aa90b.jpeg  11053-20100 but you have to buy 10.

I checked and got this...

Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead

Firefox detected a potential security threat and did not continue to cylinderhead.com.. If you visit this site, attackers could try to steal information like your passwords, emails, or credit card details.

What can you do about it?

The issue is most likely with the website, and there is nothing you can do to resolve it. You can notify the website’s administrator about the problem.

Learn more…

Engine is out!

engine_removed.jpg

Pulled the pistons out and checked the bearings. Saw a few minor scratches but mostly just common wear. The one main cap I took off had a couple scratches but pretty much the same.

main_bearing_shells.jpg

The crank snout had some scratches...looks like someone might have been careless with a puller. One of the woodruff keys had been filed a bit as well. I have no idea why someone beat on the end of the crank:

crank_damage.jpg

Really, the bottom-end looks pretty good. My plan is to do a little polishing on the crank journals but as little as possible, plus replace the bearings. Likewise, if the pistons look good, a light hone and new rings.

Likewise, the clutch was getting close to the rivets, so it'll get a clutch job.

Edited by ttyR2

image.jpeg.b92fc1497b50a3f99b5ee1544cdad119.jpeg

The flywheel sits on this surface so no worries as long as the damage is not under that seal... which by the way you should replace while it's out and easy to get at.

Definitely polish the rod and main journals. There are lots of You Tubes on how to do this. Just remember you can't polish it too much. The shinier the better. 

What style of rings are you thinking of using??