Different Types of Ball Joints for 4WD??

Son_of_a_Nun

Hey there, I have a 1980 720 4x4. I'm in the process of re-greasing the hubs and figured I'd replace the ball joints. The dealer stated that there is separate part numbers for the Lower ball joints 2wd vs 4wd. It's throwing me off a bit because on almost all parts stores (Rock auto, Auto Zone) they show no difference. Anyone have insight if there is a difference or are they the same part. Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40160-T3060 is the same part number for the '80-03'82 2wd and 4wd trucks. Give him this number and he can look it up on his own time. I swear the last generation of Nissan parts managers are useless. 20 years ago my local dealer spent over an hour looking up parts to see if a Z series pilot bushing would fit my L20B (yes they are all the same) Great guy and willing to help. Last time I went to the dealer, even with the part number... they wanted the VIN number. Said they couldn't do anything without it. I explained this was for a 70s car, long before the VIN came into effect as it is today. They just are of no use.

There are two numbers for the2wd/4wd lower ball joints from 04'82 and up but this does not mean they are not the same. There may or may not have been some inconsequential change such and an improved rubber dust seal used on the later ones but they are functionally the same. 

• Thanks 1

Crazy, they asked the same thing. I gave them my Vin and it didn’t pop up anything. So now I just bring them part numbers lately. They’ve been working with me a little better as they realized I wasn’t gonna give up. They finally started looking up. Exploded fuse for me which is a big step forward. I agree the old days were great. Great explanation. Thank you for that information.

40161-T3060 is for the driver's side and 40160-T3060 is for the passenger side. I only know this because I accidentally bought two passenger side lower ball joints for my 1984 2WD. After inspection I noticed "P" on the joint and double-checked the parts diagram. Fortunately, the upper ball joints are the same part number for both passenger and driver side.

Anyway, I have no idea what the difference is between T3060 and 48W25. Hopefully the taper and bolt pattern/spacing are the same! For me, I've had good luck with the TRW 10422 and 10425, which are just rebranded 555 lower ball joints. Again, I only confirmed fitment against 48W25.