Reinere

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Reinere said:

I've been looking into this for my 521. 

Is there other option outside of expensive aftermarket solutions? I know the Saturn Vue has a standalone system and a PS unit can be had for around $100.

Has anyone else done this?

Not really, but some things have been done... 

The electric assist is nice because you dont need a new steering box you just get the added assist.... 

Beyond that I'm not really sure....

But do you honestly really need it?

I daily my 521 and have never even contemplated needing it.... 

• Like 1

There was a guy on the 510realm that did column mounted electric power steering on a 510 Coupe that worked great. I think he added a GPS speed sensor for variable speed assist. Pretty slick setup. A bigger steering wheel is the cheapest and easiest option by far.

• Like 1

I put power steering on my 521 work truck, I did it after converting over to disc brakes, the way I did it was easy but the custom center link was expensive to have made, as I recall that cost close to $400.00 back in 2003 and I had to find an old timer with his own shop, absolutely everyone other than that guy needed to use a computer to make the part, I do not know how to write a program at all.

In the end I did not do everything the right way, this was the start of my fabricating stuff life, I mounted a 720 power steering gear on the outside of the frame as far forward as I could without hitting/touching the cross member under the radiator, but I did not weld in sleeves where the mount bolts were in the frame, this was a big mistake and I rebuilt that area several times over the years, then I put the custom center link where the stock one was, then I used the stock center link from the 720 pitman arm to the custom center link, I had to have the pitman arm modified to except the tierod connection on the bottom, it just rubbed lightly on the tension rod which I never had an issue, keep in mind that my 521 work truck weighed 3400lbs, it is a dually, and the frame was extended 20", power steering was a must for me, it has saved me from rearending someone 3 times, while skidding with the front wheels locked up I would turn the steering wheel to the right then just before plowing into the vehicle in front of me I would let off the brakes and the truck would shoot sideways up onto the curb all three times, I was never moving much more than 20mph when it happened, but with a trailer the truck would not stop in time, I never damaged my truck going up onto the curb because just before hitting the curb I would let off the brakes again and just roll up the curb.

Keep in mind that this is something I do without even thinking about it, it happens so fast I do not have time to think about it, I think my subconscious takes over, I call it autopilot.

The custom centerlink had a tierod connection on the passenger side just inside the tierod connection for the right wheel, I cannot copy the Photolame photo to post it in this reply, so here is the link to my long forgotten thread, there are not post numbers here in threads anymore, but the photos are on the first page with the post date being March 18th, 2011(second post on that date), the 4th and 5th photos are of the custom centerlink.

Here is the link to the thread.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=8067492c281c397dJmltdHM9MTcwMDYxMTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0zMjBkOGE2ZC02YWQxLTY1MGItMzdlMC05OWMzNmJmYzY0YzgmaW5zaWQ9NTIwNw&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=320d8a6d-6ad1-650b-37e0-99c36bfc64c8&psq=1971+Datsun+521+work+truck+ratssun&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9yYXRzdW4ubmV0L3RvcGljLzI5NzM3LXdheW5vcy01MjEtd29yay10cnVjay8&ntb=1

Edited by wayno