1987 brake drum conversion

Bobbert

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All trucks after the '77 620 were front disc brakes. You say it's an '87 720? The 720s stopped in '86.5. An '87 would be a D21 Hardbody. Post a picture as I said, all trucks from '78 on are front disc. The build date is stamped on a tag on the driver's door jam. Post a picture of this '87

Check your brake fluid level. If low or empty you may need to bleed them.

Perform a brake booster test....

1/ step on the brakes several times to exhaust any residual vacuum in the booster.

2/ step on the brakes and hold.

3/ start engine.

What should happen is the pedal will drop slightly as intake manifold vacuum builds. 

4 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

All trucks after the '77 620 were front disc brakes. You say it's an '87 720? The 720s stopped in '86.5. An '87 would be a D21 Hardbody. Post a picture as I said, all trucks from '78 on are front disc. The build date is stamped on a tag on the driver's door jam. Post a picture of this '87

Check your brake fluid level. If low or empty you may need to bleed them.

Perform a brake booster test....

1/ step on the brakes several times to exhaust any residual vacuum in the booster.

2/ step on the brakes and hold.

3/ start engine.

What should happen is the pedal will drop slightly as intake manifold vacuum builds. 

Grandparents had told me it was an 87 so I had went with it. Thank you for the information 

On 10/26/2023 at 8:47 PM, datzenmike said:

Well lets find out what you do have.

1 hour ago, Thomas Perkins said:

Post a picture and you will find out what kind of truck you have.

OK...

Does it have round headlights? Then eithere a 620 or a 520/521

Look on the door jam for the build date.

On 10/26/2023 at 5:11 PM, Bobbert said:

So I just got a 87 720 from my grandparents and the main problem I found is the brakes. I have to push the pedal in just for it to barely stop. I was wondering if anyone had swapped out the brake drums for rotors and if it was hard to do

OK the front brakes ARE disc and only the rears are drum. There's no easy conversion to rear disc brakes as the drum brakes are more than adequate. If it isn't stopping it's not the fault of the rear drums.

Are the shoes wet from leaking wheel cylinder????

Air in the hydraulics and just needs bleeding.

The brake booster may not be working.

The self adjusters may not be working.

All of these are repairable or replaceable.

11 hours ago, datzenmike said:

OK the front brakes ARE disc and only the rears are drum. There's no easy conversion to rear disc brakes as the drum brakes are more than adequate. If it isn't stopping it's not the fault of the rear drums.

Are the shoes wet from leaking wheel cylinder????

Air in the hydraulics and just needs bleeding.

The brake booster may not be working.

The self adjusters may not be working.

All of these are repairable or replaceable.

Okay thank you, another thing was the truck don’t like staying on when it is turned on. Right before it comes off it sounds like a fuel pump turning off. I can’t really figure out what the problem is.

1 hour ago, Bobbert said:

Okay thank you, another thing was the truck don’t like staying on when it is turned on. Right before it comes off it sounds like a fuel pump turning off. I can’t really figure out what the problem is.

Well a vacuum leak for the brake booster mentioned previously might be the cause. Find the larger hose to the booster from the intake. On a warmed up engine, pull hose off the intake and have someone put finger over opening to seal it. Does it idle better now?

There is a fuel pump relay that has several inputs to enable the pump to keep pumping.

1/ When you turn the ignition on before starting, does the oil light come on?

2/ When running, what does the battery voltage read?

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Well a vacuum leak for the brake booster mentioned previously might be the cause. Find the larger hose to the booster from the intake. On a warmed up engine, pull hose off the intake and have someone put finger over opening to seal it. Does it idle better now?

There is a fuel pump relay that has several inputs to enable the pump to keep pumping.

1/ When you turn the ignition on before starting, does the oil light come on?

2/ When running, what does the battery voltage read?

When I got it only the rpm meter, oil gauge, and speedometer actually function. Everything else on the gauge cluster doesn’t function not even the lights.