82 DATSUN 720 CRANK NO START

greypickup97

My family has had this pickup for about 15 years. It was always reliable and never really had any problems. It has been sitting for about 5 years. For a short time it would run for a few minutes, and die. this was after I replaced the fuel pump. Now it just keeps cranking and wont fire up at all. I drained the gas out of the tank drain plug, and put a new battery in it. I am lost on where to go to next. car has had the Webber 32/36 carb on it for about 10 years.

Edited by greypickup97
adding info
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The carburetor has a small round sight glass in the front. The gas level should be in the middle. If no gas perhaps the pump? Why was the original removed? The original electric pumps are almost always better than the after market ones that replace it. I don't suppose you kept the old one??? Turn ignition on... do you hear the electric fuel pump working??

Pull an exhaust side plug wire off, put an old plug in the end and ground it against the head while someone turns the engine with the starter. Do you see a spark??

• Like 1

THE OEM PUMP WAS REPLACED 10 YEARS AGO WHEN WE PUT THE AFTERMARKET CARB ON IT. NOTHING WAS A PROBLEM THEN IT STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS STAYING RUNNING AND WE SWITCHED IT AGAIN. THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENED. I WILL CHECK THAT GLASS LEVEL. AND WILL CHECK FOR SPARK. DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW THE FIRING ORDER. I WANT TO MAKE SURE IM PULLING THE RIGHT PLUG, I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED ON THE WHOLE 8 PLUGS FOR 4 CYLINDER THING SINCE IVE REALLY ONLY WORKED ON 05-2012 VEHICLES HAHA!

Mike he said there is a weber on there.

I alwasy ck when you cycle the pedalLinkae on the carb you should see gas squirting in there. Its like pouring gas in there. Then if you see gas then its not firing ,look at spark. as if you have spark the gas should fire off at least for a sec or so.

Ck spark by pulling the center coil wire and place near ground and see if it sparks

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Also did you try to start it with the old bad gas in there and then drain and replace when it didn't start. Or did you drain and replace before attempting a start? It may have clogged up the jets if it's 5 year old gas.

Edited by None_zero