HELP!! DATSUN L20B SUMP!!

Hey all question for a mate hes wondering if you can reverse the sump on an l20b to clear the front diff better. I know he's got the wrong engine mounts but hes keen to prove me wrong aha. So if anyone could help..? any info would be helpful to him.. and I know the engine mounts are wrong because he brought the motor and ute off me and I still have the engine mounts from when it was driving about.. I don't think itll work because of the oil pick up and bolts might not line up..

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was originally z22 so it says on the compliance plate.. but has a l20b that came out of a 2wd ute. And the bloke who put it in there had to make custom engine mounts but he also swapped the 4wd sumps over and when I took the motor out. I gave the sump away because I needed a 2wd one. I have told him all this but he's only young.. I think I'll just sit and watch at this point.. he's 3 weeks into 20 hour job and hes had the motor in and out repeatedly aha it's all learning though

44 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

You say to clear the front diff...

Makes me thing 4x4....

I'm not sure if that's a specific pan or not.....

What was the motor before?

51 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Just looking at the gasket I'd say he is wrong.  

Screenshot_20231004-134548_eBay.thumb.jpg.2c7d5ecea79b017e7afcc85891894125.jpg

Yeah that's what I said yesterday when I was underneath it trying to show him why it wouldn't work but hopefully he'll read this tomorrow and he might believe someone else

iuGaIzW.jpg

This is the L20B oil pan for an '80 4x4 720. The differential is slightly off set to the right. (almost said passenger side lol)  This is how it would sit with the L series engine properly tilted about 12 degrees also to the right.