Dealer keys or used?

1001001SOS

So my truck came with one key, and it's not the door key lol. I think these trucks came with just one key (or one small glovebox key at first, but one key for doors/ignition?). So Im guessing the ignition switch was changed and who knows.

Is it best to get locks and a new switch on ebay, or try to use the key code in the glovebox to source a dealer key? I'd rather not take the door locks out, but I am okay doing the ignition (again) and having different keys. TYIA.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 1001001SOS said:

So my truck came with one key, and it's not the door key lol. I think these trucks came with just one key (or one small glovebox key at first, but one key for doors/ignition?). So Im guessing the ignition switch was changed and who knows.

Is it best to get locks and a new switch on ebay, or try to use the key code in the glovebox to source a dealer key? I'd rather not take the door locks out, but I am okay doing the ignition (again) and having different keys. TYIA.

Most older independent locksmiths can cut a dealer key. Just had one done myself off a door code, like 5 mins and $20. They can also look at the cut code and compare that to the key you have beforehand just to make sure it isn't the same.

I have cut many keys using that book way back when. I wish I would have "acquired" one of those books and the key gun (as we called it) for punching out the cutting depths.

One thing to keep in mind is when cutting a key by code with a "key gun", all of the cuts will be new and the cylinder will be 40ish years old and worn. Sometimes we would have to buff the snot out of the key or even dull it up a bit using a concrete curb as a "file". Although, some locksmiths these days have a fancy shmancy key cuttin' machine. They also may be more refined than we were as far as using the curb as a file.

• Haha 1
On 9/28/2023 at 4:07 AM, KELMO said:

I have cut many keys using that book way back when. I wish I would have "acquired" one of those books and the key gun (as we called it) for punching out the cutting depths.

Got one of those as well, so key gun, codes and blanks.  Oh, yeah got a depth gauge.  Fun to have the tools.

I noticed the new keys would be a bit rough when using to operate the lock  So far, wire wheel fixes most of that.  Sharp as can be when freshly cut

Edited by 720_Jeff