72 2dr bucket

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Junk..lol it needs rockers inner and outer, floors, trunk floor, and quarters.. oh and a inner wheel well. 20 years ago I would have scrapped it but nowadays I guess I'll restore it.lol it's also has some random spots from mouse piss. But it is complete and still had the numbers matching engine in it and the wiring is nice. (Not that I'll use it)

Having done neither I don't have a qualified opinion but from what I have read, seen and otherwise come to understand it getting it dipped is the better option. I just spent about twenty minutes or so wire brushing my engine bay and cowl area with minimal headway and kept thinking I wish I could have dipped mine. If you have a stump and some good fabricating skills you should be able to make the inner wheel tub and rear seat floor. My brain went to the tub could be made in two pieces and I would make the rear seat floor in seven, because I've already done it, almost. Best of luck to you and happy Halloween.

The problem with dip is that it may remove factory e-coat from the inner channels and you won't be able to coat those interior spaces. I have everything blasted and then do the metal work, then bring it back to the blasters to have it blasted again and powder primed. It's more costly, but having the welds and new metal blasted really helps in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I've been interested in dip, and have inquired about it, but it seems if you;re replacing metal anyway, blasting is about as comprehensive as it gets.

Almost forgot - blasting will also reveal metal that's too thin. If it's rusted on the inside, but not the outside, cleaning it with dip won't stress test it like blasting does.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports

A buddy of mine just had his 914 shell dipped and then re-ecoated.  This was after finishing all of the metal work, cage construction etc. (building his new race car).  Not many places can do dip e-coating.  He sent it somewhere near me in Detroit area, but the shop that stripped it would not tell him exactly where they were sending it.