Photo of z22 block

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You mean holes for the head gasket?

What I did was place the L head gasket on an L block and see which holes are being used because not all are. Then place on the Z block and make sure the same holes have flow up from the block. Generally there is more flow on the left side on the L head because the exhaust and intake are on that side. This is to remove heat and keep the intake ports 'cooler' but the Z series is a cross flow so not really needed.

No I think not also. I did find one hole on a Z24 block near the front that was blocked but used on the L20B so I drilled it out. The L20B/Z20 and Z22 blocks are all very similar, the Z24 I think had some differences. Was using a Z24 HG so that needed a hole also.

• Like 1

While googling I came across a few different threads on various forums talking about the block needing new coolant passages on the driver side?

Now it seems the only reference for this I can find is doing a slight chamfer to the oiling hole to match it up to an l20b gasket.  I have seen the info about properly modifying a z24 gasket. 

I have a z22 bored to 89mm so I guess I'm good to go aside from the gasket modification?  Thanks for the clarification!  

Edited by TheBirdistheWord
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...