Paddylock

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Picture 1 of 12

Very nice example. I see it doesn't have the '82 hood. Looks like an '85-'86 with the dual wiper squirters. All 720 hoods interchange.

Interesting. Previous owner did a ton of work to it. Cleanest frame I’ve seen on these from his repaint. 

21 hours ago, 720_Jeff said:

That other truck has some issue with the reported odometer reading, so the title is branded as such, so it says.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225691891263

Wow,that is not good.A lot of 720 owners have put another speedometer in cause they quit working.You also take a gamble buying a used one.The odometer also quits working too.You see them for sale on Ebay all the time.I bought a used one off of 720 world and some of the parts were missing.He sent me three of them for 40 bucks and none worked.I did install the one with a clock in it that works.It put my speedo in that one cause I want to keep my mileage accurate I did give some one on 

this site the odometer for free.I did put the temperature gauge in mine cause mine stopped working,so 40 dollars was worth it cause I do have extra parts.I also put some of the lights in.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Yeah, I'd expect some +- on these trucks.  I know all three of my trucks, speedo reads a little low, so that has to throw off the ODO by a bit.

The Experian check, doesn't list the ODO reading each year, so hard to tell when it become off and by how much

Odometer is driven mechanically so it cant 'read' higher or lower. There is no slippage. Speedometer needles on the other hand are magnetically driven so if something were tight it would affect the reading.

Probably taller tires. Stock tire is 195/75R14 and 25.5" tall. If your tires were only 1" taller at 26.5" your speedometer would be 3.91% out. At highway 50 MPH that would be 1.95 MPH almost 2 MPH faster that the speedometer needle reading. 

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Odometer is driven mechanically so it cant 'read' higher or lower. There is no slippage. Speedometer needles on the other hand are magnetically driven so if something were tight it would affect the reading.

Probably taller tires. Stock tire is 195/75R14 and 25.5" tall. If your tires were only 1" taller at 26.5" your speedometer would be 3.91% out. At highway 50 MPH that would be 1.95 MPH almost 2 MPH faster that the speedometer needle reading. 

Thanks for correcting me.  Yes, thinking of it this way, totally makes sense.

I do have correct sized tires, 75's aren't the easiest to find and a bit of a premium compared to 70's.

I'll start another thread on this one day, so not to hijack this one

Edited by 720_Jeff