Tuning issue or something else ?

ToeBot

I just installed a 32/36 weber carb however i’ve been trying to adjust both the idle speed screw and the idle mixture screw and it still doesn’t start. When i give it gas while starting, it turns over. Is this just a tuning issue?

914D10C4-074D-4813-B7EC-E41DC0BFDC58.jpeg

ACFBB145-49B6-4A69-8744-559E2B0453B5.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After the engine is running and fully warmed up, you will then be able to accurately adjust the idle speed and idle mixture.

On the Weber, one full depression of the gas pedal before cranking is needed. Then hold the throttle down approx 20% and turn the key to crank the engine. The engine moving around by use of the starter is called turning over. If it has fuel and spark, it should fire up soon and be able to run. Use your foot to try to keep the engine running somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

Keep it going until it starts to get a little warm. At that point you can experiment and see if it will hold an idle on its own without you messing with the gas pedal.

It has been a long time since I worked with a Weber 32/36 but I got pretty good with tuning them.

First turn the idle mixture to be too rich.

Second, set your idle speed to just slightly higher than you want. As an example, about 800rpm.

Then slowly lean out the idle mixture. Speed might go up slightly as the mixture gets to the ideal level. Keep leaning out the idle mixture; when you hear the idle just start to drop a little, stop there. That is a nice lean idle. At that point your truck should idle at around 700rpm when fully warmed up.

If the truck won't start, double check for vacuum leaks. Gasket at the base of the carb. Hoses that go different places. Make sure it is all tight and sealed up.

2 hours ago, ToeBot said:

I just installed a 32/36 weber carb however i’ve been trying to adjust both the idle speed screw and the idle mixture screw and it still doesn’t start. When i give it gas while starting, it turns over. Is this just a tuning issue?

Can't tell if you say it fires but fails to start or doesn't fire at all.

If nothing happens.... then check that the adapter plate has gaskets on both sides and the carburetor is snugly bolted down.

Don't over tighten or the adapter can crack.

ACFBB145-49B6-4A69-8744-559E2B0453B5.jpeg

That curved pipe on the intake with the bolt in the end must be completely sealed shut.

If it fires after pumping the gas... but then quits, take the air filter top off and check that the choke is set on.

• Like 1