3 point seatbelt conversion

Hey all - new to this forum, so apologise if this topic has already been covered. As I have kids who will be riding in my Datsun 520 truck, am wanting to fit 3-point seatbelts from the lapbelt that is currently fitted (and given the general poor quality of driving here in the UK - for my safety too!?!). Has anyone found a way to attach the high level shoulder seatbelt point to the cab pillar? Also do you think there is enough room behind the bench seat to locate an inertia reel? Just w3anting to get some advice before I start looking for new belts. Any recommended vendors who ship to the UK appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a '71 521 with lap belt but I noticed there were anchor points in the upper corners of the cab for the shoulder belts. Yes the '72 model did have them. '73 3 point could be retro fitted to the earlier ones. Even so they do not retract.

'75 on 620 trucks has 3 point harness retractable belts. The retractor is anchored just to the rear of the door jam and beside the seat You would have to weld in the anchor points. Not saying don't do this but likely very illegal to tamper or modify the safety belt system even if improving them.

Might be to your advantage to go through a car breakers near you and check out some cars that have them. It's all custom anyway, what does it matter if it's Saab or Volvo?

52 minutes ago, six2ohyea said:

I thought about doing the opposite. Lol wanted to go from 3point to 2 point in my 620

I would not recommend this, my first car a 73 610 had 3 point, when I got T boned (my fault) I walked away with a little bit of a sore neck. When I was hit head on while driving my brothers 68 Buick special (other guy's fault) with only a lap belt, I suffered a broken jaw, concussion and lacerated right arm. Granted the accidents were different in severity but I would have had less injuries and less lifelong dental issues if the car had a 3 point. Play safe there are a lot of stupid people on the roads. Maybe even find a way to tuck re-tractors behind the seat so they don't get in the way.

Also seatbeltplanet not only offers NEW universal fit 3pt belts, but they also offer various universal anchor mounting points..............but I would expect that most are weld in...........??

• Thanks 1