LB20 Engine Install Using L16 Engine Mounts- Failed to install: Update- Successful Install

dougfj62

Spent a few hours today trying to muscle the LB20 into the engine bay and failed . The drivers side mounting bracket is literally 1/2" short of bolting down. Is there a specific technique to align the holes. I am using original L16 brackets and rubber mounts. I have read others using their original L16 rubber mounts for their LB20 install so I cant image these would not work. Do I need t acquire different brackets and and rubber mounts? Any advice greatly appreciated. 

IMG-5123.jpg

IMG-5125.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I literally did this Friday. Ok, almost. Installed an L18 into a 510 using L16 brackets and mounts. I don't know if you tried it this way, but I set in the left side (driver) first and then set in the right side. On the left side I had the stud nut on the mount a bit loose and then ran the bolts from the mount to the cross member (and yes, I had to futz with it). For the passenger side I had to slowly lower it down and line the mount up to the cross member with a screwdriver. It took me almost an hour to get it in there with a lot of small adjustments on both sides. I will try and get some pics later on today and post them here.

I can't imagine the mounting points would be that different between L16, L18, and L20 blocks.

• Like 1

I put Z24 into 620 that had an '81 720 frame, should drop in right? Eventually I loosened both the engine brackets and only one side rubber mount with the nut only one thread on to hold it. This gave enough slack to pry the other rubber down and into place and get the nut on the stud. Then tighten everything. The engine brackets and the frame form a V and only when the engine weight settles it into place do things start to line up.

• Like 1

Don't know if these will help but.....

3oUoL9W.jpg

cukRybh.jpg

Also, like DM said, the nuts on the rubber mount were fairly loose for some wiggle room.

Edit: Looks like you're sofa king close.

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 1

TNX KELMO,

Followed your procedures. Lots a nudging and prying, small sledge hammers taps to the rubber mount and a screwdriver guiding the mount to the holes , the engine slipped right into place perfectly.

IMG-5131.jpg

IMG-5132.jpg

IMG-5133.jpg

• Like 4
  • dougfj62 changed the title to LB20 Engine Install Using L16 Engine Mounts- Failed to install: Update- Successful Install

Cleaned up the valve cover with grease remover, covered Datsun OHC and accent lines with blue tape and sprayed the valve cover with RED VHT wrinkle paint. Gotta be careful not to spray too much bc gravity is not its friend, will cause drips lines. 

• Like 1