Timing cover

russaroll

Ran into a bit of a problem today.  I was trying to get my engine back together and, wouldn't you know it, I seem to have the wrong timing cover.  As you can see it IS for an L20B. Anyone have the one I need, with the bolt holes farther apart?  I will trade you or buy if I have to.

L20b

U67

53063267977_7f99635a44_c.jpg

53064341373_06c72596ac_c.jpg

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Take the cover back off and have those areas welded up. Then sand it flat and drill/tap new holes. When L20B covers became hard to find, this was the solution.

i would rather not have to go this route.  Hopefully someone on here has the right timing cover.  If worst comes to worst, I might have to.

that's the last time i buy from FB.

Edited by russaroll
  • Like 1

Actually the L head does seal against a Z timing cover. There is one spot front right corner that is thin but a little JB Weld and a file fixes this. In this instance it's an L head on a Z block using a Z head gasket. 

RN9P30h.jpg

Can't use any bolts but this area doesn't have to deal in anything but fumes and oil splash from the chain. Maybe a little RTV  smeared on the front and two sides.

Well not just RTV but on both sides of the gasket. The head bolts should clamp it against the timing cover. Goes without saying that it should be de-greased thoroughly.

If not RTV then a sealer like for differentials and transmission cases might be better.

• Like 1