Reverse light switch

midnight75

We are working on our 1972 521 and have bought 2 reverse light switches. I can’t figure out whether I need a normally open or normally closed switch and most switches don’t say which they are. I need the lights to be off when the button is pressed and on when it is not pressed. Can you tell me if this is open or closed and can you possibly provide a link to the correct one?  Thanks for any help on this. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, off hand I don't know. However easy enough to check yourself.  Because the switch is the lowest on the transmission, the oil must be drained, the drain is on the bottom and the fill bung on the left side of the front case half. (you probably know this) If you don't know when the oil was changed last, now is an excellent opportunity to do so. 2 liters or 4 1/4 pints US of GL-4 gear oil.

Remove the switch and insert a wood dowel and. shift into reverse. If the dowel moves outward then the switch only makes contact when push button in pushed into the switch. 

I did that.  The button is pushed in when in any other gear than reverse.  When you put it into reverst the button is not pushed.  What I am asking is whether the switch that I am looking for would be normal closed(What I think it should be) or Normal open.  The switches that I have purchased so far turn the lights on when the button is pushed(Backwards from what I need).  One of which said that it was a closed circuit type.  That is why I am confused. And that a lot of them do not say whether they are open or closed.  

1 hour ago, midnight75 said:

I did that.  The button is pushed in when in any other gear than reverse.  When you put it into reverst the button is not pushed.  What I am asking is whether the switch that I am looking for would be normal closed(What I think it should be) or Normal open.  The switches that I have purchased so far turn the lights on when the button is pushed(Backwards from what I need).  One of which said that it was a closed circuit type.  That is why I am confused. And that a lot of them do not say whether they are open or closed.  

I think you are correct...

By definition it should be a normally closed switch because pushing the button in breaks the connection....

That's doesn't mean I'm right....

Well I tried to see how my extra 4spd reverse switch worked to maybe confirm what you are thinking but unfortunately it was no good.... so I'll need a switch too if I ever need to use the transmission..

Where did you get the 2 you bought?

What was the description?

I looked on ebay and only saw 1 listing that I thought might be correct... coming from Thailand...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262547430684?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8LSvlY5DSii&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2B08jY5FRkS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

(Again just my opinion I can not say with certainty) I agree they dont really describe the switchs well....

I see ones for the 71b transmission but I dont know if they are the same as the one needed for the 521 transmission....

4 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

According to the schematic, it passes power from the fuse box to the light bulb.....so it has to be a normally open(at rest state).  The contacts close when the pin is engaged(pushed in).  You can always jumper the two wires going to the switch to see if the lights light up.  If they do, it's the switch. You can also use a test light....key on, in reverse.....both sides of the switch should have power.  Out of reverse, only one side should.  

The original post stated that in any gear other than reverse the pin is being pressed in and the light are on...

When he puts it in reverse the pin is out and the lights go out...

So if the pin is out to turn the lights on wouldn't that be normally closed?

• Like 1

I just ordered the one that you posted.  We will see if it works or not.  The other that I ordered was this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155574567901  It says that it is a closed, but it is not.  I tested the transmission by putting a screwdriver into the switch port to see when it is actuated and that is how i found out what type I think that I need.  It is just confusing to me what is considered closed or open.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, midnight75 said:

I just ordered the one that you posted.  We will see if it works or not.  The other that I ordered was this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155574567901  It says that it is a closed, but it is not.  I tested the transmission by putting a screwdriver into the switch port to see when it is actuated and that is how i found out what type I think that I need.  It is just confusing to me what is considered closed or open.  

I hope it does, I hate suggesting parts if they dont work....

I will say that's the one I would have ordered....

As for the one you ordered the listing seems questionable....

I dont know much about the 620 or 720 ute and what transmission they used.... but the description is confusing me too... 

Screenshot_20230718-143436_eBay.thumb.jpg.62b28c0ecdf4400dc19ea46bc9dc1277.jpg

I dont understand why pushing it in closes the circuit that contradicts the all time lighting statement....

I wish you waited to buy the ebay one but I hope it works....

I was checking part numbers with 

https://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/pickup-1965-1972/power-train/transmission-case/from-oct-65

And both 521 63 series transmission and the early 620  transmission have a different part number but were replaced by the same item.....

The 521 switch

Screenshot_20230718-165159_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.3b7067e8619955b32e6a02e767dfe837.jpg

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-switch-rev-lamp~32005-21101.html

The 620..

Screenshot_20230718-165218_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.9cd1a6c04b48015b483609eefda781da.jpg

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-switch-rev-lamp~32005-h5000.html

I edited my post .... mike is right the reverse switch for the 71b is different..... I mixed up what I was looking at on carpartsmanual.com....

Edited by Crashtd420

32005-21101 for the F4W63 in the J and L series 520 and 521, 1200, 610, 710, 620 and 1600 Roadster.

32005-H5000

for the F4W63L in the 1200, 610, 710, 620**, A10 (HL510)

for the F4W56A and F4W60 in the B210 and 210

Transfer case in Patrol

** I see no connection or crossover of parts to the 71B 4 or 5 spd. reverse switch (32005-K1000) There were two 4 speeds in the 620 so maybe a mistake.

F4W63 and F4W63L.... I was told the 63 changed to 63L around '74 with a slight overlap into '75 meaning that the J and L 521 and the 510 were just 63. I have Nissan info that the '73 620 used the 63L, also '73 and up 610 and 710 were 63L, and the '78 and up A10 were just 63. So I don't know.

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

** I see no connection or crossover of parts to the 71B 4 or 5 spd. reverse switch (32005-K1000) There were two 4 speeds in the 620 so maybe a mistake.

It was my error.... I mixed up the 2 4spds they showed on carpartsmanual.com.... 

Definitely different.... it does have a replacement part number but they do not match the ones I posted earlier....

Screenshot_20230718-164542_DuckDuckGo.jpg

wfMtzWY.jpg

71B 5 speed.

Bottom shift rod is 5th/Rev and currently in the neutral position. If you look just below the roll pin in the shift rod above it, you can see that there is a notch cut into the reverse rod and a ramp upward on the left side. You can clearly see a dot where the button on the switch rests most of the time and a scratch? or more precisely, a removal of tarnish where the button rubs the ramp clean to the left. To select reverse the rod moves forward so the button is extended in neutral but the rising ramp pushes the button in closing the contacts and turning on the reverse lights. If the 71B is this way why not the F4W63 in the 521?

32 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

On the 71b, To select reverse the rod moves forward so the button is extended in neutral but the rising ramp pushes the button in closing the contacts and turning on the reverse lights. If the 71B is this way why not the F4W63 in the 521?

So on the 71b the button being pushed in does turn the lights on....

I removed the switch from my old 521 4spd to verify and compare... When you select reverse it ramps down releasing the button... so the button being out turns on the reverse lights for the 63 series...

Sounds like they function in a opposite manner to me....

And midnight75 has switches for the wrong transmission .....

• Like 1

Hey midnight75 ... I might be interested in buying one of those switches you dont need if you wanna recoup a little cash....

I believe by the way they function they are for the 71b transmission....

I have a short 71b 5spd now in my 521 and the terminals on my switch are questionable..... I wouldn't mind one on the shelf for the day I need it... 

Send me a private message if interested....

18 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

The original post stated that in any gear other than reverse the pin is being pressed in and the light are on...

When he puts it in reverse the pin is out and the lights go out...

So if the pin is out to turn the lights on wouldn't that be normally closed?

Sorry. I missed that.  Just that description alone says that it's normally closed.  You are completely correct. I'll delete the other so that it doesn't confuse anyone.  There's a reason I don't post much anymore. 😞 lol

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mklotz70 said:

Sorry. I missed that.  Just that description alone says that it's normally closed.  You are completely correct. I'll delete the other so that it doesn't confuse anyone.  There's a reason I don't post much anymore. 😞 lol

Without mistakes we cant learn....

I had to correct my post too.....

I believe the 71B switch closes contact when the button is pushed in. It's very possible that the 521 is the opposite thus the two switches can't be the same part number and my searches say this also. Brake light switches operate the same, closed open normally with button compressed and on or closed when the button extends.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

closed normally with button compressed and on when the button extends.

You're opposite, dude. A closed circuit is a connected circuit. A brake light switch is open normally when the button is compressed.

Well I have reverse lights now. Apparently the switch was fine. I haven’t received the others that I ordered yet, but I have been chasing electrical issues and found a splice that was different from the diagram. The white/blue coming from the voltage regulator was spliced into the green and red/black. I believe the green traced back to the hazard lights. I took the red/black (reverse lights) and ran it directly to the ignition side of the fuse box. Now I’m getting power directly from the fuse box instead of the voltage regulator. I’m not sure why it was wired from there in the first place. 

on another note. I think this also fixed my charging issue. Although I’m still confused because it looks like I have an internal regulator alternator, but it won’t charge unless I connect the voltage regulator. I’ve found the wiring diagram to bypass the voltage regulator and tried that, but that doesn’t work either. Maybe they just used the case from an internal alternator but it’s actually an external. Still confused on that. I’ve been using another Ratsun thread to chase that down. The information in that thread is amazing. I’ve really been impressed with all the help from everyone. It has helped a bunch. Thanks everyone. 

I’ll post again when I get the switches in just to give info on whether or not they were correct. 

There is still something wrong in the voltage regulator or alternator or starter. I still have a short I believe because it will drop the battery voltage if I leave the regulator plugged in. Overnight it will drop into single digits. This morning it was at 3 volts. When I unplugged the regulator it went up to six and then I charged it up. Right now after running it for a while and then shutting it off it was at 12.3 volts and dropped to 12.10 and then back up to 12.17 after I unplugged the regulator again. Now it’s holding 12.17.