R16 into a b210 - tell me I shouldn't.

Raggleflaggle

car is a:

1977 b210 GX 5spd

has:

fuel return line, a running a14 engine and a an owner with a desire to overcomplicate a very simple car

would need:

intake adapter, 02 sensor, crank sensor, (and cam sensor?)coolant temp sensor, high pressure fuel system, tank baffles, some sort of ignition interface, wiring, bike ecu, tuning.

tell me i shouldn't. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204334078673?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338678874&toolid=20006&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1HLONdmn0SC6B09JDBaLoAw70%26customid%3Ds%3AGS%3Bgc%3A43e9d2dddd9e1318ff74b670659cd868%3Bpt%3A1%3Bchoc%3A1&customid=s%3AGS%3Bgc%3A43e9d2dddd9e1318ff74b670659cd868%3Bpt%3A1%3Bchoc%3A2&msclkid=43e9d2dddd9e1318ff74b670659cd868

Edited by Raggleflaggle
significant change in plans
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sniper is essentially a tbi kit, afaik. a complete one, mostly, so it doesn't require any.. creative sourcing.

i'd considered it or something similar, but who's ever had a success story with it? i'm very open to input.

what's your crazier-but-cooler idea?

I originally had a idea of adapting 90s ef hatch tbi fuel injection from a 1.5 honda motor on to this same car, years ago, and was naysayed by an old head.

weird to think that would have actually worked if i spent some time actually learning how the systems worked. I almost had the idea down then, but didn't have the confidence to just go buying shit and mushing it together.

pretty sure it would be easier to do tbi over mulitport, and less complicated.

but i'm under the impression tbi is entirely inferior to mpi? if it wasn't why was it such a flash in the pan in automotive tech? 

While I understand what you are trying to do if you dont have a lot of the parts already its gonna cost... 

I have 2 setups for a early suzuki gsxr, 1 for a carburetor bike I want to efi , and the second setup for spare L series motor with the hope to use in my truck.... 

What I found was the ecu and programming will be the biggest hurdle.... 

If you want efi I'd get a side draft a series intake... and use the weber bolt pattern throttle bodies.... 

Alot easier to start here vs the bike efi....

Pierce manifold has the intake..

Screenshot_20230712-095641_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.44721675380af82968ce8aa5d431b927.jpg

Borla and jenvy have throttle bodies...

Edited by Crashtd420

first two links seem promising, that manifold is very affordable. 

the thing about the ebay link i started with was that the bike it cane from already exists and has an entire ecm setup, sensors, etc for it. the box itself is available for $2-300, the rail would be under 100 with injectors, fpr, etc.

most sensor/connectors would be to a '11 zx14. 

tuning would be expensive but i wouldn't be in $2000 in parts in the first week. 

now that i'm awake it doesn't seem impossible to just rig the bike throttle input potentiometer to the throttle cable off the intake.

i figured i'd get a bunch of "carbs are fine leave the poor car alone", not support!

• Like 1

Anything's possible....

They way I look at is why not try..... 

Personally if you wanna go this route I'd find a spare engine ...

Find someone with a runner who did a motor upgrade....

That way your not missing out driving your datsun while engineering things to work.....

Plus you could resell the motor when you're done...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2

i have found a complete r16 driveline for a reasonable price near me. i know nothing of roadsters, but it was claimed to be running last year and looks it. given the goal is just to be a test mule, and the end goal is a more adaptive fuel system anyways, any reason why i shouldn't? 

15 hours ago, Raggleflaggle said:

i have found a complete r16 driveline for a reasonable price near me. i know nothing of roadsters, but it was claimed to be running last year and looks it. given the goal is just to be a test mule, and the end goal is a more adaptive fuel system anyways, any reason why i shouldn't? 

Only reason another a series would be better is that once done you have everything ready to bolt on to your engine....

Other than having to make a few parts for each engine the theory of it working could be tested....

Definitely an option...

• Raggleflaggle changed the title to R16 into a b210 - tell me I shouldn't.

A significant change in circumstance has led to a shortage of functioning motor vehicles in my fleet.

Tired little B210 is having to pick up DD slack, and after a compression test, shows roughly 120PSI across all cyl, and from what i've read the spec is supposed to be ~150.

The bottom end has taken up a hobby of beatboxing, and vaping, despite my advice not to. 

closest shot in the dark junkyard motor i can find is 300 miles away, but a local listing has a 1600 roaster motor and trans. 

the 1200 wiki lists the same transmission models for the R motor and the A, but no real info on compatability.

If i get really lucky and things bolt/line up, the only hurdles i can see are mounts that need made and maybe an issue adapting the ignition a little.

what else can go wrong?

Well what are the compression numbers on the R16??????? You don't want to trade one POS for another.

B-210s used F4W56A and F4W60 transmissions. The Roadster was an F4W63 similar but for length to the later Datsun 510. The Roadster 4 speed with R16 has a large square bolt on oil pan and I know your B-210 does not. Starters are on opposite sides too. Don't believe everything in wiki. I guess you could swap the engine and transmission but I think the R16 transmission is longer and there's no guarantee the oil pan will clear the front cross member.

For less than $300 get a set of rings, rod bearings, head gasket, oil pan gasket and valve seals. Do a down and dirty hone 'n ring job on the A14. Good for at least 12-15k maybe more.

wiki confirms for posterity even if trans is same model, bell housing/front cass is different, with a diagram. it's just only listed under the "bell housing" page and not the transmission one. 

have seen the roadster seating position and all i believe it has the selector farther back, just by eyeballing it. 

i'd put the whole r16 driveline in all together, but when i see next to no research on it, it does make me think something like a sump/pickup tube is in the wrong place. not to mention roadster guys aren't exactly out hunting the A15s, so it must not be worth it. 

i'd love to have enough free time to even halfass fix this motor, i'm hoping the dozens of smoke-belching freeway miles aren't screwing the innards up too badly or anything. i just can't take the time off to fix it. if you have recommendations for a basic ring kit, i'm all ears. i can at least buy it and look at it. 

did get a possible lead from putting up a WTB ad, Ratsun ftw.🤘