Torque specs for timing cover

Hey all

So got her running and finally moved her to in front of my house from the top of the hill near my garden. I've been wanting to get her in front of my house for quite sometime.

I noticed I'm leaking pretty bad from the timing cover and a small drip from the oil pan. What are the torque specs for the timing cover for a 1980 4x4 

I'm moving on Monday about 6 miles to my new property so need to wrap it up by then! 

• datzenmike changed the title to Torque specs for timing cover
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

It's unusual for the timing cover to leak. The front oil pan bolts go up into the bottom of the oil pan.

Oil pan bolts..... 4.3 to 6.5 ft lbs. Don't over tighten.

The big leak is coming from behind the water pump where the screws go through the valve cover and into timing cover 

• Confused 1

Through the head into the timing cover. Above the water pump. Spray the oil off with carburetor spray and let dry. Let the engine run and watch for exactly where the leak starts. Make sure it isn't the valve cover dripping down.

38 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Through the head into the timing cover. Above the water pump. Spray the oil off with carburetor spray and let dry. Let the engine run and watch for exactly where the leak starts. Make sure it isn't the valve cover dripping down.

If it is valve cover what would be the torque spec for that? 

I don't have a spec for those. Generally tighten just enough to not leak. The gasket compresses over time and they can be tightened, but again, just enough to stop any leaks. I just tighten wrist twist tight.

Felpro makes a black Valve cover gasket I like . Buy a few spares

The cork ones you go to get just right, overtite that can split and just make it worse

most times the front cover leaks at where the head meets the front cover up in the corners,where the lower head gasket overhangs the front. If not done right then they are a leaker, or even the oilpan gasket as that should be lowered to no truin the gaskets. If this was a previos running motor.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
1 hour ago, banzai510(hainz) said:

Felpro makes a black Valve cover gasket I like . Buy a few spares

The cork ones you go to get just right, overtite that can split and just make it worse

most times the front cover leaks at where the head meets the front cover up in the corners,where the lower head gasket overhangs the front. If not done right then they are a leaker, or even the oilpan gasket as that should be lowered to no truin the gaskets. If this was a previos running motor.

Yeah I'll look into it. I did all of the removal twice already so now I got a system. I plan on in a couple weeks dropping oil pan and changing gasket fully as its never been changed in 50 years. The timing cover I'd leaking in the corners for sure. I'm gonna work on it today and tomorrow as I just bought new property and moving on Monday. Its inky 6 miles so not far 

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I don't have a spec for those. Generally tighten just enough to not leak. The gasket compresses over time and they can be tightened, but again, just enough to stop any leaks. I just tighten wrist twist tight.

Same as the oil pan. They will need tightening from time to time.