Weber carb w/ charcoal canister

PineClone

Hi all! Been a while since posting here, but finally have an issue i'm getting around to trying to solve. My '78 B210 has a weber carb, and the previous owner removed all of the emissions components when he installed it. When i park it in the garage after driving it, the garage becomes permeated with the smell of fuel. I know that these old cars are known for the exhaust smell, and my 240Z had the same thing, which i actually kind of liked. But this is to another level.

I have no idea if there is a way to easily add the carbon canister back into the workings. Or maybe there is some other solution?? My car runs like a dream, so I'm not too interested in making any major changes.

Thanks in advance!

-Scott (Wenatchee WA)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Visually check all exposed fuel delivery hoses and lines for obvious dampness. Specially the filler hose and tank vent line into the engine compartment. The tank vent normally goes to the canister that saves any fumes evaporated from the tank. If it's still open you can't just seal it up because the gas cap isn't vented, it's a sealed system.

Best to get another canister and connect it properly. The purge line is usually connected to the vacuum advance on the distributor. Tank vent to the nipple marker tank. The last line is a connection to the intake. The purge signal opens the valve and allows the intake vacuum to draw in the stored fumes. Pretty simple. Vacuum advance likely has a TVV that prevents vacuum advance until engine is warmed up. As all engines are about the same, gas tanks and intake vacuum, just about any canister from a wrecking yard with three connections should work.

That said I don't think evaporated gas from the tank vent is of such volume that it stinks up the garage. Some later '80 carburetors have a vent line from the carburetor float chamber to the canister. After shut down the engine heat will cook the gas in the carburetor and give off fumes.  This is the most likely source of fumes other than a leak in the fuel lines or tank.

• Like 1