First Post - get the torches & pitchforks ready

Gichoke

Hello to all on the forums! I hope each are well. I have dreamed of a S30 build for some time. I recently came across and purchased disassembled 280, with rust repaired and metal work done on a rotisserie. I am planning my build I had always thought of a Rebello or Datsun Spirit L28, or going with an RB. I have researched engine options, and cannot bring myself to go with an LS even though that is the easiest route. Here is the question that will likely get some boos from the purist. Outside of trying to “Keep It in the Family” (which IS my preference)…why not a Honda K20c1? I would love to hear some opinions from the board. You can buy the engine Brand New as a crate engine. Honda reliability. Light weight.  310hp & 295fp TQ.  Easily tuned modern engine. $9k. Obviously, there are no mounting kits as there are for more popular options. Outside of the fact that it’s normally for FWD applications, and it’s not part of the “Dissan” family… if people will regularly put a Chevy engine in a Z car, I’m having a hard time telling myself why this may not be an exciting option. I would love to hear some feedback from the forum! 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of modern Honda engines being used in other Datsuns like the 510. This is more because they are available now and not as overpriced as old SR20DET engines.

There are RWD kits to mount a RWD manual transmission.

If you want around 300hp for a good price, what about the good ol VQ35DE?

There is also the RWD inline 6 out of the 18 year old Lexus. Not quite 300hp but they would be cheap to find. Unsure how hard it would be to find a manual transmission though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I think it’s a great, and reliable engine. And if there were kits, or the aftermarket better supported this kind of swap, I would be extremely interested. I talked to Rebello racing yesterday, and he made me feel pretty confident in one of their builds. That’s likely the direction I will go.

I’d go with a K with a turbo slapped to the side.  My Z has a SR.  But it was acquired before they cost a zillion dollars.  The SR wasn’t bad at all to put in.  A K would be even easier.  I had to notch the Crossmember for oil pan clearance which the K wouldn’t need.  As long as the steering shaft didn’t hit the accessories you’d just need motor mount and trans mount.  

21 hours ago, thisismatt said:

From Honda back to L motor?

Well, I was just looking at the Honda as an idea. While I know you need headers, pulleys, etc.. and a few other things before that engine is complete. It certainly sounded like a great, modern engine, with great performance characteristics, for $9k. I had always preferred a built L 28 honestly. But the idea of a modern light weight Honda engine, brand new..that they use for some of their racing programs & in the Civic Type R, was awfully attractive. It still is.  It just hasn’t been done much. And it seems it would take such intensive customization to make it work… That it may no longer be the value it started out. If they made any “K” kits, like they do for RB’s, LS’, & VQ’s.. it would be close to a no-brainer

8 hours ago, Icehouse said:

I’d go with a K with a turbo slapped to the side.  My Z has a SR.  But it was acquired before they cost a zillion dollars.  The SR wasn’t bad at all to put in.  A K would be even easier.  I had to notch the Crossmember for oil pan clearance which the K wouldn’t need.  As long as the steering shaft didn’t hit the accessories you’d just need motor mount and trans mount.  

Hey Ice… what did you do for an intercooler, piping, etc..?